Check your service statusCable National
Ask a Question
Brainbox
corbetta

Samsung Galaxy Ace - Samsung Apps

Hi can anyone help?  New Samsung Galaxy Ace on contract arrived earlier in the week.  All works fine except for Samsung Apps - when I launch this is just goes online and comes back saying 'no updates available';  it does this whether I'm connected via Wireless or via the Virgin connection. I was expecting a load of apps for me to download etc. 

On the other hand, the 'Android Apps' via the 'Market' icon works fine.

Any help would be appreciated

TV XL|TiVo 500Gb|V+HD|BBXL
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
corbetta

Re: Samsung Galaxy Ace - Samsung Apps

...so now I've tried it using the Kies software on my PC, and it says that I can't use Kies to download samsung Apps on an Android phone due to Google's policy!  Does this sound right?

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
rayhipkiss

Yep, I get the same nonsense message in KIES with the Galaxy S.

I haven't bothered to find out exactly what Googles policy is on third parties installing apps

via any other method other than through the Android market, but it is safe to say it's not an error message

but a statement of fact.

I would keep checking the Samsung apps on the phone though, as new apps will start to become available

over the next few months. ( The phone has only just been released. )

All the best.

Ray

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
corbetta

Thanks Ray - I'm not the only one then!  Both Virgin and Samsung advertise the phone as having 'Samsung Apps' as a feature but I guess the Android overrides this.  I expect Android has better apps anyway but it's just not clear anywhere that it doesn't work, either via the phone or via Kies.  When I installed Kies on a Windows 7 64-bit machine, it even said that the phone wasn't supported!  Installed it on Vista 32-bit and that seems OK but the Samsung Apps message is still the same - you can view the Apps in Kies but you have to select the phone you want to install it on and of course the Ace isn't listed.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open for updates on the forum or the websites.

Thanks again

Please use plain text.
Super-Solver
Trickiejohn

Now this might sound a bit daft but...... make sure your time is set to auto update - if its manual that can stop it, don't forget it needs a valid email registered.

now my mate has 1 and its working like a dream he had over 45 apps (why I have no idea) but its still smooth and slick

From Sunny Glasgow
if you want to say thanks click 'kudos' and if this has answered your question click 'helpful answer'
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
corbetta

Thanks - I'm coming to the conclusion that this phone is does not support Samsung Apps because it's Android OS not Bada OS.  So it only supports Android Apps. On the Samsung Apps website the Galaxy Ace isn't even shown as being supported.

Does your friend have Android Apps or Samsung Apps installed?

Thanks again!

Please use plain text.
Super-Solver
Trickiejohn

AggHHHH no idea, it could just be Android, as Bada and Andriod are not quite the same sorry if I missled you :smileysad:

From Sunny Glasgow
if you want to say thanks click 'kudos' and if this has answered your question click 'helpful answer'
Please use plain text.
The Sorter
rayhipkiss

Just had a thought. Press Menu key, tap settings then Applications. Tap Samsung apps, and under New application notification check to see if WI-FI only or Packet data is selected. Preferably, WI-FI.

Then from the main home screen tap Applications, goto Samsung Apps and see if any new apps are available.

All the best.

Ray

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
corbetta

Thanks, both, for your assistance.  No luck I'm afraid with those suggestions but I'll let you know if I'm ever successful!

Please use plain text.
Super-Solver
Trickiejohn

After checking, the phone uses android apps, the samsung apps only update samsung services on the phone (if there is an update) Sadly your restricted to the the 150,000 apps on andriod

From Sunny Glasgow
Please use plain text.