Menu
shovez
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

refused contract for phone upgrade.

I have never had to post on here before as always been a happy customer, but today I was suprise by virgin, I have been a virgin media customer for 10yrs and a mobile customer for for 4 yrs with 2 mobile contracts, one of which is coming up for renewal so I rang virgin today for the 1 month early upgrade for my phone only to be refused credit for a contract that costs less than the one I am paying for right now and then was told I can appel if I request for a reason for refusal, I could understand if I had bad credit but I don't, I am so mad about it due to the fact this will now put a mark against my credit that I am now considering switching from virgin altogether so much for loyalty eh! I will look forward to there response.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: refused contract for phone upgrade.

Hi shovez, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. 

I'm sorry it wasn't a visit due to better circumstances.

When we run a credit check, we don't only look at your history with us, we look at your overall credit. I'm sorry it looks as though we were unable to offer you a new contract on this occasion. 

There maybe something really simple on the report stopping this. It may be worth having a look at your credit report via Experian to see if there is anything that stands out to you on there. 

We're not able to give account specific information out via the Forums so if you would like a more in depth chat about things, gives us a call on 789 / 0345 600 0789 and we'll be happy to have a chat Smiley Happy

Take care, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
shadowphax
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Kath_F,

The same thing happened to me and the team on your 789 customer line are a complete waste of time in relation to this credit refusal, so please stop giving this advice on this forum (along with other Forum Team users).

They completely refused to discuss any reason for the refusal (even though they originally rang me to offer the upgrade).

I was advised to sign up for an Experian Credit check and that I would have to mail....not Email but MAIL.... the results to Virgin Consumer Underwriting Service and it takes up to28 days to deal with.

Surprise, surprise, my credit rating is 999 out of 999 and I'm still refused a credit for a phone!!!

I have been with Virgin Media (or the companies they bought) so long my email address is @ntlword.com and I have been a Virgin Mobile customer for over 9 years. Your customer services admitted that my payment record was perfect but still no explanation of the credit refusal. They simply hide behind the 'We can't do anything!' standard corporate answer and there is no customer services complaints procedure or team to speak to.

I am still awaiting the response from the Virgin Consumer Underwriting Service asking for an explanation of what went wrong with Virgin's internal credit checking systems and for them to correct my rating.

I got so fed up with trying to deal with your customer service (non-service!) teams that I went out and bought a sim only phone and renewed only the contract bit that the credit rating doesn't affect.

Call me cynical, but I can see a business plan for making money here. Refuse credit for say 10% of your long-term low-profit customers and get them to sign up to Experian for a credit check. This is free for 30 days but hits your credit card for £14.95 each month afterwards. Lots of people will forget to cancel their Experian accounts before they have to start paying. Instant profits for Experian. Let me suggest that Experian have agreed to share the profits from these credit-refused Virgin Mobile mobile customers with Virgin Mobile. Instant extra profit for Virgin Mobile too.

Seems like a win-win situation for Virgin and Experian to me.

sawyerhja
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

My experience has been close to yours. I can rate this as the worst encounter with a large company in my total life. Their HO is just passes the buck to a team in Manchester who like store staff, to be fair, are only doing their job; I have some sympathy for the infantry. I am going to close mobile plus broadband/tv a/c. They don't care. THEY REALLY DO NOT CARE.

To think that they must spend £000's on advertising - but give no thought to the effects of bad publicity.