Menu
trioceros
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

"New" phone actually a refurb- still paying full price

I recently got a phone through Virgin insurance, as mine had been stolen. I noticed something amiss when I was typing in an email address on my phone, and a random email was offered up as a prediction. Having paid the £60 excess, and still paying my full price bill per month plus insurance, I was somewhat disheartened to find that my shiny "new" phone was certified refurbished, and I had not been informed that this would be the case at all. 

While I'm willing to keep the phone (despite it not holding its charge very well), mainly due to the fact that it takes so long to get a new one, I don't want to be paying the price for a NEW phone when the phone clearly isn't new, and I was not informed of it being a refurb.

What can I do? I want my bill cut or a new phone sent, not a slightly lower grade refurb, especially when my phone was in pristine condition when it was taken and this is a real low blow after the stress of losing the phone and paying the frankly extortionate excess.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: "New" phone actually a refurb- still paying full price

Hi trioceros,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting regarding your experience.

The terms of the insurance do state that replacement handsets are not brand new but refurbished to an 'as new' standard. This is outlined on our website along with the information in your policy welcome pack.

I appreciate you have said you will keep the phone despite experiencing issues with battery life, but if that problem continues I would advise you to contact Asurion on 0345 030 3291 to discuss it further as the replacement will be covered under warranty.

I am sorry that this may not be the answer you are looking for having had your device stolen but what you have posted is consistent with how the policy operates in such circumstances.

Thanks

Liam_T
Forum Team

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos