Menu
HarryMcB
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

mms charges on texts

I joined Virgin mobile about 3 weeks ago.

I have been charged for MMS on four texts.  40p on three and 80p on one.  All were short (less than 100 characters and most were <40 characters).  I used no emoticons or pictures - just plain text and all sent to just one person at a time (all UK mobiles).

My plan is supposed to be £5 a month but it looks like it will approach £10 a month minimum.  I phoned 789 and (I think) I was told that I must be using more than 160 characters or sending to multiple users, which I wasn't.

I was planning to move my wife's mobile to Virgin but that is on hold until this gets sorted out.

Has this happened to anyone else.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: mms charges on texts

Hi HarryMcB,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm very sorry to hear you've been charged for MMS messages. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this for you.

Some handsets automatically convert to MMS but it would usually flash up on the screen to inform you. But saying that, if all your texts were as you described then there is no reason why it should do it.

What handset do you have?

How many different numbers did you send to?

Do these numbers saved in the handset start with 07 or +44?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
HarryMcB
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rich

Thanks for the reply

I'm using an LG Spirit handset.

The calls were to two different UK mobile numbers - 3 for three separate calls to number A and 1 call with two charges to number B.  Both A and B are 07 numbers.  

Following information I found on the internet, I changed the setting of the messaging app for MMS/Creation from free to restricted.  I also turned off mobile data believing that would prevent chargeable MMS messages.  

I went to the last message from mobile A and pressed reply.  It came up with a quick message "contacting MMS services" and then a tiny flag saying MMS so I didn't continue but started a fresh text to the same number which was not an MMS.  I am very nervous that the phone will send more MMS messages without my agreement.

I would like to have an arrangement where the system requires me to confirm that I want anything for which I will be charged outside my payment plan.  That seems reasonable to me.

All the texts which I sent were well within the 160 character limit.  My phone was always in the UK.

I am still surprised how I could be charged for 2 MMS messages in the single 40 character text I sent to number B above.

I would appreciate any further advice and comment.

Harry

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to us Harry Smiley Happy

This seems very odd indeed! It seems like there is something within the phone that is causing the messages to be sent as MMS as all the criteria that you described seems like a perfectly normal SMS message.

Is it possible for you to try your sim in another handset?

Let me know as soon as you can. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos