Menu
oldlady1
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

is this genuine

had email earlier from youraccount@virginmediateam.co.uk

Hello,

As a Virgin Mobile customer we occasionally have to send you important documents about the credit agreement you have with us.

Your Annual Statement is now ready to view.

Just open the attached PDF.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

is this genuine or a scam as i have never recieved one these before, been with virgin moble for years.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: is this genuine

I'm going to be more direct. This is a scam. The format of the e-mail address in the body text is quite different from what I would expect to see from VM. Just delete it and forget about it.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

All Replies
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You are wise to ask. Opening any attachment, like a pdf, can install a virus.

Also, something may pretend to be a pdf, but actually be something more dangerous

So even if genuine, it is a stupid way to send out unexpected information. Virgin should not be telling their customers to open unexpected attachments.

One sign of a bad email , is that it does not include your actual name, something that virgin know but scammers may not.

While you wait for a response, it should be safe to save, not open, the pdf file and then scan it with whatever internet security you have. Usually a right mouse click brings up a menu where you may have a scan this with xxxxxx option

What is the name on the file that someone wants you to open

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm going to be more direct. This is a scam. The format of the e-mail address in the body text is quite different from what I would expect to see from VM. Just delete it and forget about it.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.