Menu
amazegrace
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

incorrect name on mobile acct

As I am due an upgrade i thought i would log on and check if my current tariff is ok or if i needed to change. that's where my problems started - i couldn't log on - tried to re-register - was alarmed to be told that reset info would be sent to some random email address that has never existed in my household (it was a combination of my partners name and @ntl.world) - phoned and then had problems because my surname had been changed to my partners surname and the password was the old one associated with the account that he had many years ago.  anyway i am now told that i need to send in a copy of my birth certificate in order for Virgin to change my name back which begs the question - what evidence did they have to change it in the first place as I didn't provide any and didn't request the change as that is not my name and never has been. anybody else have problems like this?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: incorrect name on mobile acct

sadly if Virgin deem that the account is in the correct name, they won't change it. That on its own is not an issue to be honest, as if they changed it or if you opened a new mobile account in your name (less hassle, mobiles are not as such linked to media accounts, either way a pass on a credit check is required and past history is not normally taken into account)

if it was me I'd give notice at the appropriate day (30 days before the end of the contract not earlier, not allowed, no later as it may cost you an extra months payment, then take out a contract in your name pass the credit check and your up and running.

The cons are, new phone number, possible fail of credit check (virgin use their own criteria anyone can fail despite a solid credit rating of many years of no default payment history

0 Kudos

All Replies
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The next time you call in ask the agent to check your record and tell you when it was changed and what was said, have you asked your partner? Is the bank account in her name for the mobile?

0 Kudos
amazegrace
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you John. My partner's mobile is from tesco and has been for a few years now but up until about 4 years ago our mobiles were registered in his name although the dd's came out of my bank acct. It looks as if whatever changes virgin made recently might have used old details to update the acct. My problem now is getting them to change my name on my mobile acct. The broadband and landline acct is in my name, all emails come to my name and the money for all bills comes out of the bank acct in my name....so they already have evidence of my name in their records. I will do as you suggest when i next have the patience to call...45 mins last time ending with a promise that a manager would call me back within 3 hours....never happened.
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

sadly if Virgin deem that the account is in the correct name, they won't change it. That on its own is not an issue to be honest, as if they changed it or if you opened a new mobile account in your name (less hassle, mobiles are not as such linked to media accounts, either way a pass on a credit check is required and past history is not normally taken into account)

if it was me I'd give notice at the appropriate day (30 days before the end of the contract not earlier, not allowed, no later as it may cost you an extra months payment, then take out a contract in your name pass the credit check and your up and running.

The cons are, new phone number, possible fail of credit check (virgin use their own criteria anyone can fail despite a solid credit rating of many years of no default payment history

0 Kudos
amazegrace
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I think you are right John - easiest way is to cancel contract and start again. ...not necessarily with Virgin though.  Thanks for replies and advice.

0 Kudos