Menu
merlinbrent
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Re: iPhone unlock

Hi all,

As I said previously, your best bet is to either contact VM staff via the forum (here) or to contact EE EMT escalations team.

This is not standard practise, but is the only thing that helped me to unlock my 2 phones previously.

For some reason, the Virgin Mobile staff on the telephone are totally unfamiliar with the unlock process, and trust me, I've spoken to a LOT of them, approx. 8 staff in total, each one of them tell you something different - but basically that they cannot help and try to pass you on to Apple/Carphone warehouse. Neither party are able to help, Carphone warehouse have no control over unlocking, and although Apple probably CAN do it, they refuse to, as its not really up to them.

It is the mobile network operator that should do this - Virgin Media. But obviously this fails, so bypass Virgin and go straight to the true mobile operator - EE. Virgin basically piggy back off the EE network, and really it is EE that provides the service. Like I mentioned, EE would prefer that Virgin sort this, but obviously they are not capable, so contacting EE is the only option.

It's also worth noting that writing an official complaint letter to Virgin is pointless - they simply do not reply.

Such shocking services from VM, which is a real shame, as its a good product they offer.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 12 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sara,

I'm very sorry that you've been having some trouble getting your iPhone unlocked, and I would like to apologise for any inconvenience it has caused. 

It would be very sad to see you go, and our team would like the chance to put things right. 

So that I can assist you further, please can your confirm your iPhone model and where you purchased it from? 

Kind regards, 

Dean

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 13 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sarar, 

I'm very sorry that you're having the same problem. 

Please send a private message to me so that I can look into this further for you.

Please provide the following details:

• Full name
  • Mobile number

To PM me, simply:

• Click on my forum name on the left of this post.
  • Go to my profile.
  • On the right had side, select the 'send me a message' option.

Kind Regards,

Dean

0 Kudos
Barrya1811
Joining in
Message 14 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Hi I have the same problem and have been told by VM that they cannot do anything.

Can you help please.
0 Kudos
lukey196
Joining in
Message 15 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Need my phone unlocking as i cant use it on anything but virgin.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 16 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Hi Barrya1811,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting your iPhone unlocked.

I'm afraid we can only assist with unlocking handsets if they've been purchased from us directly or from an authorised seller on our behalf i.e. Carphone Warehouse. When you purchase them from a third party they are temporarily unlocked but will lock to the network of the first SIM card.

The reason for this is, handset unlock codes are only supplied to the manufacture of the handset and the original seller of the handset (traced by IMEI). If you've purchased it from somewhere else then you'd need to get them to unlock it.

In some cases you can try to unlock this by connecting to iTunes and resetting the handset. You will need to back up the handset before you try this to ensure you don't lose anything.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
merlinbrent
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 53
Flag for a moderator

What total rubbish Virgin!

Virgin CAN and SHOULD unlock mobiles when requested. Apple CANNOT unlock a device for you - so that advice is total crap, and neither can Carphone Warehouse, Argos, John Lewis - or anywhere else you purchase your phone from.

ONLY the mobile network can unlock phones.

Also, to add even more untruth to what you said - I actually asked EE to unlock my phone from the Virgin network - as Virgin was too incompetent to do so!

Please can you speak to whoever is necessary to make sure you ALL understand the unlocking process - i'm starting to get sick to death of people in this forum trying to unlock their phones and being told no. It's a total joke.

Also, on that note, where can I write/email to make an official formal complaint - and more improitantly will I get responded to?

I've wrote several letters and had no response, I'm starting to get sick of this and I'm seriously considering going to the ombudsman

roadcred
Tuning in
Message 18 of 53
Flag for a moderator

I also have the problem. Spoke to Virgin today who informed me they only supply the Bill and the SIM. If I didn't buy from them they aren't interested. Said speak to Carphone Warehouse ( that would be a waste of time). They said they don't lock phones so phone is unlocked? I said if they weren't locking...EE certainly were....suggested I got in touch with EE. EE are looking at it....I will not hold my breath

0 Kudos
roadcred
Tuning in
Message 19 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Didn't need to hold my breath. For a fee of £8.99 EE will unlock it tomorrow pm! I will cross my fingers. EE said Virgin cannot unlock my phone but that they should know that they should refer customers to EE and advise it will cost £8.99. EE number 08009566000 option 2 then option 4. They are very pleasant, need your IMIE, phone number, name and cc details.

I will advise when phone is successfully unlocked.

merlinbrent
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 53
Flag for a moderator

yeah it was EE that sorted it out for me too, disgusting from Virgin. Makes me wonder why I ever signed up.

They refuse to answer any of my complaint letters!