Menu
merlinbrent
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 53
Flag for a moderator

iPhone unlock

Hello,

I am a VM SIM only customer. I have today purchased a new iPhone from Currys, and this locks to the first SIM you insert. The first SIM I inserted was the VM one.

However, I actually use a work SIM too, so I'd like to be able to swap and change between the two. The work SIM is on Vodafone.

I was told that I could call VM and get the phone unlocked. When I did this, the lady on the phone told me that I could do it myself, via iTunes, and the option would "just appear" but I'm not sure if this is correct as I can't find any magic unlock option.

Please help

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 53
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: iPhone unlock

Hi merlinbrent,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am deeply sorry to see you have been misinformed when it comes to unlocking the iPhone.

To clarify, we have a process that allows us to request the unlocking of non Virgin Media iPhones where those handsets refuse to accept non EE/Virgin Media SIM.

I can only apologise the information provided is clearly inaccurate and will look to feedback to the departments you have spoken to.

I will send you a PM with further details which will allow me to do this for you.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Liam_T
Forum Team

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 53
Flag for a moderator

you can not unlock the phone yourself. I'm not sure if VM will do it as the phone was not bought from them.

This is a nasty trick Apple but into the iphones so you can;t really ever get a unlocked phone as they lock to the first network used.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Hi merlinbrent,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Apologies for the confusion, I hope I can clarify a couple of things here regarding the points you have raised.

We can indeed request that your iPhone be unlocked to accept another carrier's SIM card and I can help arrange that for you if you need.

The reason for this is that your iPhone is locked to the EE network.

What I am unsure about is whether the phone will then lock to the new carrier upon inserting the new carrier's SIM card, or whether the phone then becomes truly unlocked allowing you to swap the SIM's around as and when you like.

Thanks

Liam_T
Forum Team

0 Kudos
merlinbrent
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I've actually contacted VM support 3 times now, to be told that because I didn't purchase the phone from VM, they couldn't unlock it. I've then been told to "Plug it into iTunes", "contact the supplier", and to "contact apple".

Ofcom rules state that VM, as the network, must unlock my phone. Apple cannot unlock them, plugging it into iTunes wont do anything, and my supplier cannot unlock my phone either.

In the end, I contacted EE as the base network, who where very confused as to why VM could not unlock my phone, and originally told me to call back. I refused. They then said that they could most likely unlock the phone for me, so I've sent them details and am awaiting a response.

Depending on this outcome, i'll come back to you as to if  I need VM to do anything.

Extremely unhappy with the whole process from both the supplier (who sold me a SIM free phone without informing me that this would happen) and VM.

This whole process is going to result in an Ofcom complaint as it's simply not good enough.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 53
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi merlinbrent,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am deeply sorry to see you have been misinformed when it comes to unlocking the iPhone.

To clarify, we have a process that allows us to request the unlocking of non Virgin Media iPhones where those handsets refuse to accept non EE/Virgin Media SIM.

I can only apologise the information provided is clearly inaccurate and will look to feedback to the departments you have spoken to.

I will send you a PM with further details which will allow me to do this for you.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Liam_T
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Rosshowieson
Joining in
Message 6 of 53
Flag for a moderator

I can't seem to unlock my phone either. Please can you help with the process?
0 Kudos
merlinbrent
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Your quickest bet is to phone EE. And to speak to EMT escalations.

Don't bother calling virgin, total waste of your time.

Failing the above, one of the VM staff on here should be able to do it for you
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rosshowieson,

Welcome to the Community Forum and thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing a problem with unlocking your phone. Has this been sorted out for you?

If you are still having an issue with this, please send a private message to me so that I can look into this further for you.

Please provide the following details:

• Full name
  • Mobile number

To PM me, simply:

• Click on my forum name on the left of this post.
  • Go to my profile.
  • On the right had side, select the 'send me a message' option.

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
SaraCollins7
Tuning in
Message 9 of 53
Flag for a moderator

When I rang up to get mine unlocked I was told twice by members of your team that Virgin can't do anything about it. Disappointing service as I've rang both Apple and Carphone Warehouse and they've said you're the only ones who can do it as the phone is locked to your network. I've been a customer for years but I will be cancelling all services with you and not returning if this is the hassle you put your customers through for simple requests.

Sarar
Tuning in
Message 10 of 53
Flag for a moderator

I am having the exact same problem. Could you advise on the solution please?