Menu
Carl_P1
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

iPhone 6s Plus unlock

I bought a sim free iPhone 6s Plus. I also bought a Virgin Mobile 12 month sim only to use it with. I've just requested my PAC code to move to Vodafone on a new deal.

The number ported over today, leaving me paying 30 days notice, without the ability to use the Virgin SIM. I've asked for a temporary number on the VM SIM, which they won't do - without starting a whole new contract. Amazing as I've apparently got 30 days left of the service.

The bigger problem though is that VM have locked the phone to their network, despite not ever buying it from them.

This means I cannot use my Vodafone SIM with ported number. Nor can I use the old VM SIM, as it has no number.

Further to this I've called you three times today to be told each time that VM don't lock any iPhones, and as I didn't buy it from you they're unable to unlock it.

They advised I restore through iTunes, which has had no effect. Yeah the VM SIM will still activate the phone.

I've since spoken to Apple who've told me that VM would have the request the unlock, and that they can do nothing for me.

The net result is a phone I bought sim free, being hijacked onto a network I no longer have any deal with. 30 days notice, which is entirely useless. A Vodafone SIM that cannot be used, yet being paid for. Lastly a number that's been ported over that I need to use, and can't.

Can someone resolve this, as the call centre seem to have no idea of any locking process. I don't have a contract on the handset with you, and so I don't wish to pay for an unlock - simply that your mistake is corrected.

Kind Regards,

Carl.
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: iPhone 6s Plus unlock

Quite a mess you've got into :-(
The locking to first network is wrote into the SIM free phone's firmware by Apple, this would have locked the phone to the Virgin/EE network without Virgin doing anything, only Virgin or EE can unlock the phone for you, Apple will not get involved.

On the PAC side, using the PAC code finished your ties with Virgin, even though you have paid for the next 30 days.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Carl_P1
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I've tried EE too. They won't touch it as it wasn't bought from them, nor used on their network. Thanks for your reply though.

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

This has to do with the Apple concept of SIM Free and unlocked iPhones. SIM Free unlocked iPhones will always be SIM Free and will remain "unlocked" to all networks.The only SIM Free unlocked iPhones are sold by the Apple store and apparently also Three, GiffGaff and John Lewis.  All other sources such as Carphone Warehouse, Tesco, Virgin Mobile, O2 etc, sell iPhones that are unlocked until first use, then they lock to the UK network they were first connected to.

I take it you did not buy the iPhone from Virgin? Even if you did VM would only unlock the handset whilst it was still active on their network. Now the number has ported you're wasting your time talking to VM.

However Virgin Mobile is a virtual network overlaid onto EE infrastructure. Hence there is a fighting chance that the phone is actually generically locked to EE and not specifically Virgin. So I would order a free of charge EE SIM and try it in the phone, don't order a bundle and don't add any credit yet. Just see will the SIM activate? Can you call the EE number from another phone? (You won't be able to call from the EE number as there is no credit as yet.)

If the EE SIM works then add £10 of credit and I would also perform a chargeable event. EG send a text using the EE SIM. That said I am not sure how you just add credit and avoid having it automatically spent on a package or bundle. Should be possible, you'll have to research that.

Now register a PAYG account on the EE website.

Then fill in the EE unlock request form and see what happens. The unlock fee of £8.99 will be deducted from the remaining credit so you need to make sure that amount of credit is available.

The phone should be unlocked within 10-14 days. But it can take up to 4 weeks. It's not a simple code, the iTunes database has to be updated as to the lock status of the handset. Once EE inform you that the phone is unlocked follow the instructions, connect to iTunes and perform a full backup, then restore and select the option to set up the handset as a new phone. This will give you the SIM Free unlocked IOS.

0 Kudos