Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9 (5,132 Views)

how to cancel a contract

[ Edited ]

I had a 24 month contract which expired on may 19th. I sent a letter to ask for contract to be cancelled once the 24 months had expired. I cancelled the direct debit beginning of june.

I got a letter today asking for the £33.00 monthly amount an stating that they would be reapplying the direct debit. I have tried to talk to customer services who told me the £33 is for the last month of the contract when I asked if contract had been cancelled she said yes then I asked why the direct debit would be reinstated and she didn't seem to know and kept talking about a separate contract for phone and tariff and told me I had a sim only contract which I don't have I checked my account online and its still active no mention of a sim only contract. I rang again got same person who doesn't seem to understand whats going on. there is no other way to contact customer services and no help section on leaving virgin mobile ----- HELP PLEASE

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9 (10,236 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by avhill
‎20-06-2016 20:08

Re: how to cancel a contract

When did you send the letter as you have to give 30 days notice from the time they receive it? The contract will keep going on till then. 

Is the phone still working as this will indicate that it is not cancelled to date although they may move you to PAYG

Might be worth ringing and coming at this from a different angle. Ring 789 and select the option 'Thinking of Leaving'. Tell them you have cancelled the contract and could they please confirm the date that it ends.

If it isn't cancelled ask for a PAC code, this allows for transfer of your number. Get a SIM from another provider and give them the code. As soon as the number transfers you are finished with Virgin. Keep the DD alive one month in case there are some small outstanding charges. Believe me it is simpler than arguing.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9 (10,237 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by avhill
‎20-06-2016 20:08

When did you send the letter as you have to give 30 days notice from the time they receive it? The contract will keep going on till then. 

Is the phone still working as this will indicate that it is not cancelled to date although they may move you to PAYG

Might be worth ringing and coming at this from a different angle. Ring 789 and select the option 'Thinking of Leaving'. Tell them you have cancelled the contract and could they please confirm the date that it ends.

If it isn't cancelled ask for a PAC code, this allows for transfer of your number. Get a SIM from another provider and give them the code. As soon as the number transfers you are finished with Virgin. Keep the DD alive one month in case there are some small outstanding charges. Believe me it is simpler than arguing.

Joining in
Message 3 of 9 (5,116 Views)

Plenty of notice given, phone is broken so ill need to find an unlocked phone to try the sim card in. I'm not faffing about asking for PAC code. It would just be useful to be able to get through to a customer services advisor who knows what they are doing! Or be able to email even if it was just to ask if they had cancelled the contract. They just make it difficult for people to cancel and its website doesn't give you access to enough info.
0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 9 (5,104 Views)

You can get customer services on 0345 6000 789 if you have not got a Virgin Phone

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9 (4,921 Views)

Hi avhill

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've had cancelling your contract.

I just wanted to check if you've been able to sort this out since posting your message?

Please let me know if you still need some help with this and I'll get on the case for you.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 9 (4,912 Views)

No I've not sorted it out yet been away for a couple of days so I'll probably ring them again tomorrow and see if I can get someone who knows what they're talking about.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9 (4,831 Views)

Hi avhill

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry to hear you've not sorted this yet.

So, if you have a split contract with us (where you pay 2 Direct Debits, 1 for the tariff and one for the phone repayment), the handset portion of this is in the form of a loan agreement.

We refer to the tariff portion as a 'Sim Only' sometimes as this portion of the deal is non-contractual - sorry if this has caused confusion.

On Virgin Mobile we require an active Direct Debit on the account to keep things up and running - this forms part of the Terms and Conditions.

However, rest assured if your final handset loan repayment has now been paid, no further charges will be taken for this.

We can continue to roll the tariff over on a 30 day notice basis if you like to use the SIM in another handset or the SIM portion of the package can be cancelled too.

I hope this clears things up for you, but let me know if you're still unsure.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 9 (4,816 Views)

I don't have 2 direct debits I had one contract and no sim only deal! I sent a letter to cancel the 24 month contract 2 months before it was due to end 19/5 I cancelled direct debit on 2/6 I then got a letter asking for £33 I rang to ask what this was for and confirmation of cancellation. I did not get an answer to these questions just that the money needed to be paid and I had a sim only contract so could do what I wanted with the handset!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9 (4,810 Views)

Hi avhill

I'm sorry to hear there's been confusion with this.

We do recommend contacting us verbally to give your notice as this way you have instant confirmation the request has been actioned which also offers you peace of mind.

We'd love to help out with this though.

I've dropped you a PM with some more information - please respond to the PM directly and we'll get you some help with this.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team