Menu
Norman1
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

how much should I pay when I call an Irish mobile when in Ireland on International roaming

I called two different mobile numbers when I was in Ireland on holiday.  They were both Vodaphone Ireland numbers starting 087.  Call one was for 69 seconds and I was charged £7. 05p, call two was for 107 seconds and cost me £10.94.  I have asked Virgin to explain these costs but got nowhere speaking to someone called Sarah.

surely these charges cannot be correct. 

Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: how much should I pay when I call an Irish mobile when in Ireland on International roaming

Hi Norman1,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that you've been charged an excessive amount when calling numbers. All roaming info for Ireland can be found here.

Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: how much should I pay when I call an Irish mobile when in Ireland on International roaming

Hi Norman1,

I hope you had a nice weekend Smiley Happy

Do you have any more questions related to the roaming charges?

Please let me know if there's anything you need.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
Gretchen
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This has also been an issue for me so I'm glad you raised it.

Whilst in Ireland last week I was given a local taxi number to call and was charged £6.85 for a 1m 7s call and £3.07 for 29 seconds.  I asked the B&B owner who had given me the number if she knew it was a premium number and she assured me that it was just a regular mobile number.  To quote "All mobile numbers [in Ireland] start with 085, 086 or 087".

I queried the charges but Virgin customer services don't seem to understand that numbers starting 087 are NOT premium numbers in Ireland.

I was expecting the pay the 16p a minute charge which was listed on the website, or maybe slightly more, not get fleeced!

Oh, and I think it was meteor.ie.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Gretchen,

I wanna get this all sorted you Smiley Happy

I'm going to raise this with a colleague to see if we've ever seen this before.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gretchen,

I'm currently looking into this. Are you able to PM me your full name, number and 3 characters of your account password?

You can do this by clicking on the image of my face and selecting the private message option.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
Norman1
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mat,

Just got back from Hols in Spain.  Same as Gretchen I have been charged premium rate for what is just a normal mobile number in Ireland.  I really want this sorting as I feel I have been badly treated.  All Irish mobiles start 087 and they should not be treated like a premium call. 

how do I go about getting the extra charges rebated to my account?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Norman1,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that you've been affected by the same issues above. So I can look into this for you, are you able to PM me your mobile number, full name and 3 characters of your password? You can get this sent over by clicking on my picture and selecting the private message option on the right.

Let me know once you've sent this over.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

I have an update regarding this.

I've spoken to a few colleagues regarding dialling the 087 numbers. I'm afraid there's no way around this as the network you're roaming on will recognise this as a premium call. This is based on the network that you're roaming on and we have no control over it.

I'm sorry it's not better news. Please let me know if you have any other queries.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Mat_H

I had to read your post several times to make sure I correctly understood. I am simply incredulous, once again your colleagues in Virgin Mobile have utterly failed to address the posted problem, which I might add is of interest to others.

Outbound voice calls when roaming within the EU are subject to a price cap of €0.19+VAT/per min which equates to the £0.16/per min in the link you posted earlier. These caps are also known as 'euro-tarrifs'. That's the maximum you can legally charge. It's against the law to charge more. Just goes to demonstrate that the EU does have some good points.

You are also supposed to send an SMS text message to your customer when the phone roams onto the foreign network with details of the charges that will apply.

Numbers issued by Vodafone Ireland begin 087 followed by 7 digits to make a 10 digit number. One of the posters above mentioned that he was roamed on to Meteor. FYI Meteor/Eircom numbers begin 085 followed by 7 digits to make a 10 digit number. And so on for all the other Irish mobile networks.

So a call to an Ireland 087 number is within the EU and subject to the roaming price cap. Likewise a call from your customer roaming in Spain to an Ireland 087 mobile is subject to the same roaming price cap.

The Vodafone Ireland number can be called from within Ireland from any roaming phone by dialling 087-nnnnnnn. You don't need the 00-353 prefix since the phone has roamed onto an Irish network. To call from Spain then you would need to dial 00-353-87-nnnnnnn or +353-87-nnnnnnn

However it seems that when the call metadata is transmitted to the Virgin Mobile billing system the number dialled is misinterpreted as an international call to a satellite phone or an international call to a premium rate number. On some pages of your website these types of calls are listed as costing £6.13/min with a 30 sec billing minimum. And this amount exactly fits the charges reported by your posters.

The fault clearly lies with Virgin Mobile as the same issue has been reported by VM UK customers roaming in Ireland calling Vodafone Ireland numbers and also by a VM UK customer roaming in Spain calling a Vodafone Ireland number.

So Virgin Mobile is breaking the law. The affected customers are entitled to refunds and have grounds for complaint to OFCOM.

So what are you going to do about escalating this issue to somebody who can actually understand and fix it?

Thanks,

0 Kudos