Menu
Wayne58
Joining in
Message 1 of 28
Flag for a moderator

excess data usage

Anyone else having the same problem ? (see below)

In December I was charged £39 (11 x £3) for exceeding my data usage.  This was unprecedented and the bill also showed that I had only used 206.04MB of my 250MB allowance (old contract, light user !).

Calls to Customer Services achieved nothing.  They kept repeating that the bill was correct, that I £3 was the daily charge for exceeding my allowance.  The agent could not explain why my bill confirmed I had not exceeded my allowance

Today I sat down to write-up my complaint, but first I checked my latest bill on-line.  This shows that I have only used 135.64MB of my allowance with 114.36MB remaining, but that I have also been charged £33 (11 x £3) for exceeding my allowance!  A detailed examination of my usage and charges shows that the first £3 was charged the day after my allowance had been ‘refreshed’, of which I had only used 3.88MB.

This means I have already been over-charged £72 in two months, with the possibility that a further charge may yet be applied to my current bill, the billing date for this is today.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Glen_UK
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: excess data usage

Hi,

If you see my thread a little further down you'll see that I am experiencing exactly the same thing.  I've been with Virgin Mobile for 18-months.  Up until recently I'd had no problems and been very impressed.  However, this started for me last month.

I have an iPhone 5S and haven't loaded any new apps or changed any settings.  I hadn't used my full 500MB allowance last month when this started happening.  Initially an advisor informed me that I must have an app open or doing something in the background which was causing this.  This is nonsense though as - like I said - I haven't changed anything on my phone.  They did agree to waive the additional charges.

But the same thing is happening to me again now.  I have used less than my data allowance, so how can I be getting charged extra?  The guy I spoke to at Virgin the other day told me that they have a new computer system and have been encountering some problems.  He again agreed to waive the charges, but I do not want to have to keep calling them because they are incompetent and can't get things right.

I want to give them a chance to put this right, but if this continues I shall be kicking up an almighty fuss about it, making people aware, going to the Ombudsman and leaving them.  Not at all impressed right now.

0 Kudos
linkstatic71
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I usually get the email of my bill and this month i noticed my wifes account was well overcharged so i logged in and found the excess data usage too, While i was in there i had a look at the 2 other accounts i have one for me and one for my son and noticed that both of these accounts had higher data usage. All three accounts showed the same  things happening since Dec 2017 on the hour data usage both in and out of tariff ie dec 11 0100 230kb out of  tariff then the next line 0100 23kb in tariff

So i called vm and got some totally shocking responses from the operators

1st operator wanted to go through  how to fix my phone chat. i informed her it was 3 different phones who have not changed settings in anyway so trying to fix just one phone is pointless as i would find it hard to believe 3 different phones would all start showing the same problems at the same time when the only thing they have in common was the virgin sim inside them. She would not deviate from the script in anyway and hung up on me as i told her was pointless and would be just wasting our time to do it.

2nd operator went a bit further He told me that as of DEC 2017 (after first telling me he had no idea when it happened) virgin are using ee aerials and now have there own network!!!

Because the network is now 4g my apps could gain access to the internet!! apparently by his words the 3g signal was that weak that apps could not gain access to the internet so did not show up on previous data usage!! (yes he really said that) and if i was to down load an app on the 3g network it would take about 2 hours to download, He told me to download the virgin app to see what apps use data, i informed him that i had it already and that for it to run it had to be (in the past )connected to mobile data and with his summery it would not have worked as the 3g network was that bad!! you could here him start to back track here

I then got the speal about turning off mobile data, fine i said if it was just one phone but this is happening on 3 different phones which never had this issue before Dec 2017 and that one of them does infact have data turned off and all the extra iphone rubbish that could use mobile data and which never used data while switched off prior to DEC 2017, he chose to ignore this and told me he had given the the solution and that was "turn off mobile data" he was totally uninterested in this issue and just kept repeating himself "turn off mobile data""turn off mobile data""turn off mobile data".

I gave up in the end and demanded to speak to a supervisor as he was just not listening to me and had no idea what was going on!! this was the only time he seemed to take interest in the call when he thought i had insulted him!!!

so i got put through to a supervisor!! oww wait no i never i got put through to BILLING she started off with ive looked at you account and the bill is correct for usage!! here we go i thought thankfully i explained the issue i was having she seemed to take it in and even said something doesnt seem right then. She was also unable to answer the issue with regards to some data being in tarrif and some beig out of tarrif even after speaking to tech staff

She gave me some insight that there have been a few issues like this on other accounts and some recent billing issues and supposedly opened up a ticket for an ongoing issue on my account for them to look into and that the on the hour usaage might have not been on the hour they just have it set up like that for ease of understanding  billing .

So reading into it  and with seeing others having the same issue it seems that issues have arisen since some sort of change over in the virgin infrustrucute of the mobile network which has caused problems

All Replies
Glen_UK
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi,

If you see my thread a little further down you'll see that I am experiencing exactly the same thing.  I've been with Virgin Mobile for 18-months.  Up until recently I'd had no problems and been very impressed.  However, this started for me last month.

I have an iPhone 5S and haven't loaded any new apps or changed any settings.  I hadn't used my full 500MB allowance last month when this started happening.  Initially an advisor informed me that I must have an app open or doing something in the background which was causing this.  This is nonsense though as - like I said - I haven't changed anything on my phone.  They did agree to waive the additional charges.

But the same thing is happening to me again now.  I have used less than my data allowance, so how can I be getting charged extra?  The guy I spoke to at Virgin the other day told me that they have a new computer system and have been encountering some problems.  He again agreed to waive the charges, but I do not want to have to keep calling them because they are incompetent and can't get things right.

I want to give them a chance to put this right, but if this continues I shall be kicking up an almighty fuss about it, making people aware, going to the Ombudsman and leaving them.  Not at all impressed right now.

0 Kudos
Wayne58
Joining in
Message 3 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks - just good to know it's not only me !
0 Kudos
snowman
Joining in
Message 4 of 28
Flag for a moderator

My wife has a VM mobile too - It's £11 a month, always is, but last month it was £14

Mid way through the month we have a £3 'exceeded allowance' charge for 'using internet', but nothing thereafter!

Something seems awry - I can't make any sense of the billing - We didn't exceed the monthly allowance (nowhere near - 44MB of 250MB).

Going to just move to another supplier if this is a problem they can't explain or acknowledge...

0 Kudos
Wayne58
Joining in
Message 5 of 28
Flag for a moderator

They have not admitted a 'problem', but have agreed to refund me ! 

0 Kudos
alistair12
Joining in
Message 6 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi all

I too am experiencing this problem for the past 2 months after numerous phone calls to liars  at virgin mobile. mobile data is switched off on the phone why i have to do this when connected to virgin wifi at home i dont know. Data usage happens all thru the night and all they say is everything is ok at there end , have now asked for a letter of deadlock from them and will be complaining as i am FUMING. I think virgin broadband and tv are also going to get a phone call and be told what they can do as well after 10 years

Alistair 

0 Kudos
Glen_UK
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Same problem here.  I've just logged into my account and the incorrect £3 overcharges are appearing again.  Second month in a row this has been happening.  Virgin cannot seem to get anything right, right now.

0 Kudos
snowman
Joining in
Message 8 of 28
Flag for a moderator

To be fair to them, when I called, they agreed it looked odd and told me they'd credit the £3 to next month's bill.

Presumably some kind of software issue with their billing data, but it's not good that people need to chase it to get a resolution.

0 Kudos
caravanj
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 28
Flag for a moderator

I must just be lucky because in five years I've never had an out-of-contract data charge.

0 Kudos
snowman
Joining in
Message 10 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Me neither until last month, so don't count your chickens! Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos