Menu
lindiloo68
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

changing phone with daughter who is with a different phone contract provider

Hello there.  I am new to this so please forgive me if I sound stupid. 

I am half way through a 24 month mobile phone contract with Virgin.  My daughter's iphone 5c contract with ee expires next month and she wants to continue with ee but get a newer iphone 6 phone.  She said that I can have her iphone 5c but how can I do this?  Would Virgin change my Sim card so that I could use the iphone 5c? Any suggestions would be very welcome.

0 Kudos
whenthecatsaway
Dialled in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: changing phone with daughter who is with a different phone contract provider

You may have a SIM that already fits. Most SIMs come in a cut out of the nest size up if that makes sense? And you should be able to pop it out. 

Your daughters phone may not even need unlocked as my Virgin SIM works in my other half EE iPhone. 

The best thing to do is ask your daughter to try your SIM in her phone. That way you can check if you need a SIM replacement in advance Smiley Happy 

Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: changing phone with daughter who is with a different phone contract provider

Hi lindiloo68,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

I can see you've already had some help from whenthecatsaway which is great.

If you do need to change your SIM for a a different size our mobile team can order this for you.

Give us a call when your ready on 789 or alternatively on 0345 6000 789 so we can get this sorted for you.

Let us know how it goes.

Speak soon

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
lindiloo68
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello thanks for your reply.  My phone is a Nokia Lumia phone so it has a full length SIM not a micro SIM like my daughters.  I rang EE and they said that they would charge £8 to give me a PUK code, which seems a bit extortionate - I thought this was free?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

PUK codes are free which is avaliable via the My Mobile account area

I think the charge for sending a new sim is approxmiately £4.99
I would suggest to ring back and just ask for a universal sim which is basically a normal sized sim but has the other bits to pop off to make a micro or a nano sim Smiley Happy

The artist formally known as Swt4ajp
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lindiloo68,

Thanks for your reply.

You shouldn't need a PUK code as these are used to reset PIN numbers on handsets and as Swt4ajt advised are free. 

All you should need to do is order the correct size SIM card for your new handset by calling our mobile team on the numbers I previously provided.

Hope this helps.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

virgin sims work in EE locked phones so you dont need anything there - just put the correct sized sim in and you are working again

you have a full size sim so you have 3 options to make it a micro sim which goes in the iphone5

1 - break the micro sim out of the full size sim - that would depend how old your sim is - newer ones are multyisized - earlier ones are just the full size

2 - cut your sim down - a good pair of scissors and a nail board will do that - use your daughters sim as a template - or pop into your local VM shop - many have a cutter - as an aside your daughter will have to sort her sim out as the iphone6 uses a nano sim which is smaller than hers

3 - ring VM - tell them you want to change your sim from old standard one to a micro one - its free - they might want to charge you a fiver - have non of it - ITS FREE - explain you want to keep your number and they send a change over sim - you send a couple of texts - not sure of the sequence but its explained fully and simple

Tony
0 Kudos