Menu
kedavis
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

can't log in

I cannot log in to my account in preparation for a trip to the UK. I want to check my balance, and add minutes to my pay-as-you-go account so I can call a taxi at the airport when I land. I live in the US and only rarely visit the UK or Europe.

The login screen won't accept my password. I am 95% sure it is right. It won't let me reset my password because it does not recognize either of the email addresses I would have used when I signed up five or more years ago. It won't let me retrieve my username and password because it asks for a postal code. As I recall I simply made up a postal code when I sent up my account because I live in the US and that was the only way to create an account. I cannot create a new account because it says "that number is already registered."

I used to be able to get help by email but the response today was "Sorry, we no longer pick up mails from this mailbox." I am not going to pay an exorbitant amount to call and be placed on hold forever on an international call. If I use chat I will have to take account of the eight hour time difference between here and the UK.

It would probably be easier to buy a new SIM card from another carrier at the airport than try to deal with this.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: can't log in

Hi Kedavis,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that you're having trouble accessing your account. I want to do my best to get to the bottom of it for you. 

With regards to re-registering the account, are you able to try with an alternative email address to see if this works? I want to rule out potential errors on our side.

Please let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
kedavis
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I would think it was obvious that it is the P H O N E  N U M B E R that is already registered.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply Kedavis.

Using an alternate email address has worked for other customers previously. As mentioned, I want to rule out potential errors on our side.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
kedavis
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just to humor you I did the following:

1. Log into your account failed with both my primary email addresses

2. Recover your password failed because neither primary email address was recognized

3. Recover your email address and password won't work without a postal code because I do not have one and can't remember the one I randomly chose to create an account.

4. Most importantly, create a new account failed because "This account is already registered with us." It O N L Y asks for your mobile number, not your email address.

I spoke to someone on chat the other day who said if I hadn't used my mobile phone in over a year the account would be deleted. I can't use my phone here because there's no easy way to use a 220 volt UK charger in the US. I wonder if the charger would work on 110 volts 50 Hz with a UK to US adapter? I'm a little afraid to try. Plus, at this point it's too late.

At this point all I need is a SIM card so I can receive UK calls. Sure the data and outbound UK calls would be cheaper with a Virgin or other UK SIM, but I will only be visiting for two weeks so it's not worth the bother to me to swap SIM cards every time I want to make or receive a call, depending on whether it's to either the US or UK.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me Kedavis Smiley Happy

It sounds like we'd need to raise an IT ticket to have the account deleted in this case. This would need DPA passed on our side. A

Are you able to PM me your full name, mobile number and 3 characters of your password so I can do this for you? You can do this by clicking on the image of my face and selecting the send me a message option on the right hand side.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
kedavis
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It's been two weeks since someone said they would get back to me and no reply yet. I will be leaving for my trip to the UK in four days now.

I guess I will just rely on my US phone while in the UK. If that doesn't meet my needs, I will pop into the first phone shop I encounter. Good thing there are so many carriers with so many locations near my hotel just off Oxford St. in London.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kedavies,

I've just sent you a PM with some info regarding this Smiley Happy

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
kedavis
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You'd think F O U R  W E E K S, or 28 days, would be adequate time to get help.

But you'd be wrong.

I'm leaving in a few hours so it's too late now to resolve my issue.

I will either use my US mobile phone in London, or ANY OTHER CARRIER than Virgin mobile, even if they are three times as expensive.

To anyone who was supposed to be helping me, thanks for nothing. I'd say more but it would get me banned.