Menu
Fordaz
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Why won't Virgin unlock my iPhone?

I have an iPhone 6 which I've recently had replaced under insurance.  The insurance is provided by Carphone Warehouse so, whereas my old phone was completely unlocked, the new replacement is now locked to Virgin Media and I cannot use any other SIM with it.

I've called Virgin on a couple of occasions and both times I've been dismissed by their agents claiming they cannot unlock a phone that wasn't sold by them.  

I've called Carphone Warehouse and they state that only the network operator who's services the device is locked to can request to have it unlocked.

I've been into my local Apple Store and they say the same thing, that Virgin Mobile are the only people who can unlock the phone, yet it's their SIM card the phone is locked to.

Where do I go from here?  I've put in a request to cancel my services with Virgin but now I have a useless phone because I can't use it with any other network.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why won't Virgin unlock my iPhone?

0 Kudos
enlli
Super solver
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This comes up quite a lot. It seem the phone is locked to EE when inserting a Virgin SIM

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey Fordaz, 

I am so sorry to learn that your apple device is locked on our network, there is something we can do about this here at Virgin Mobile. So that I can get this sorted out for you I will shortly send you a private message just to get a little more information about the device. 

To pick this message up please click on the envelope on the top right hand corner of the page, 

I will chat to you soon, 

Kelly 

0 Kudos
gasmate27
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi There

Was your problem solved?I`m  having the same issue,contacted Virgin Media customer service,but did not get anywhere.

Fordaz wrote:

I have an iPhone 6 which I've recently had replaced under insurance.  The insurance is provided by Carphone Warehouse so, whereas my old phone was completely unlocked, the new replacement is now locked to Virgin Media and I cannot use any other SIM with it.

I've called Virgin on a couple of occasions and both times I've been dismissed by their agents claiming they cannot unlock a phone that wasn't sold by them.  

I've called Carphone Warehouse and they state that only the network operator who's services the device is locked to can request to have it unlocked.

I've been into my local Apple Store and they say the same thing, that Virgin Mobile are the only people who can unlock the phone, yet it's their SIM card the phone is locked to.

Where do I go from here?  I've put in a request to cancel my services with Virgin but now I have a useless phone because I can't use it with any other network.

0 Kudos
Davetones
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kelly,

I am having the same problem and stuck in another country without being able to use my phone with another sim card.

I bought my phone outright and not on a plan so that this very issue would not happen. I've been told by Virgin customer service a couple of times over the last year that it has been unlocked but the latest I was told that "Virgin has no control of unlocking it" after spending a small fortune calling from NZ! 

I have been spending hours of my holiday searching the internet finding out who are the people that lock phones and everywhere points to the provider. I cannot handle going through anymore hassle and currently pretty disappointed with Virgin now as it seems that its a case of them being difficult.

I have my IMEI number on hand if that helps? From what I read that is what is needed.

Can you please help me out on this before i give up on all Virgin products i use?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Gosiamita1
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kelly

I have also problem with unlocking my iPhone 6 was bought through carphone warehouse and when I inserted my virgin sim card into it the phone got locked to you operator.  I contacted you several times , also apple and carphone but no one wants to help.  I was told that only virgin can unlock it.

I look forward to your replay

Mariusz Sulikowski

0 Kudos
SaraCollins7
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I was also told Virgin can't unlock my phone on two occasions when I rang up, despite being told elsewhere that they're the only one's that can. Quite disappointing customer service since other people have had similar problems with other networks and have had it sorted immediately while I'm being given the run around.

0 Kudos