Menu
malvis
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Why am I incurring internet charges for the use of WhatsApp on my mobile.

I have Virgin WiFi which I use on my laptop but keep in touch with family abroad via WhatsApp on my mobile.  I kept incurring £2 internet charges on my mobile when all I ever used was WhatsApp. When I queried this with the Virgin Mobile helpline the advisor said she would adjust the settings and now I cannot use WhatsApp on my mobile. 

Can anyone advise me on what to do next?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
malvis
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Why am I incurring internet charges for the use of WhatsApp on my mobile.

Thank you again.  I will check my settings - or rather get my son to check them.

I was advised by the Mobile helpline to send my query to Virgin Media in Swansea who would reply within 48 hours.  I did so two weeks ago but have not heard back from them.

Mavis

0 Kudos
malvis
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank youn JOhn.  I will get my son to check the settings for me.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi malvis,

£2 is the daily charge for pay monthly mobile users for out of tariff use.

I therefore assume that you are a pay monthly customer and you must have first exceeded your data allowance.

Virgin Mobile don't cap allowances so I'm wondering if the advisor you spoke to might have disabled mobile data on your account.

This wouldn't however affect your phone's ability to use WhatsApp over WiFi.

Are you sure that your phone has a good connection to your home WiFi?

Double check the settings and post back Smiley Happy

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

malvis
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Alex for quick response.  I am a PAYG user and only use the mobile for sending texts - not so many - and hopefully using WhatsApp.  It is costing me about £15-17 per month.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi malvis,

this makes less sense. For PAYG users the mobile data charge is £1 per day for 100MB.

However unless you choose to use mobile data you should be fine using WhatsApp over WiFi.

Have you checked the WiFi connection on your device?

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

J0hn
Super solver
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Or that mobile data is switched off on the phone and that Whatsapp is set for wifi only?
malvis
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank you again.  I will check my settings - or rather get my son to check them.

I was advised by the Mobile helpline to send my query to Virgin Media in Swansea who would reply within 48 hours.  I did so two weeks ago but have not heard back from them.

Mavis

0 Kudos
malvis
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank youn JOhn.  I will get my son to check the settings for me.

0 Kudos
malvis
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you to the members for your advice.  I have now abandoned trying to restore WhatsApp to my mobile phone.

I am very disappointed in the Virgin Mobile helpline (789) who seemed unable to resolve the problem and just adjusted something at their end which meant that I could not connect to WhatsApp at all.

I am also very dsappointed in the lack of response from Virgin Media Customer Services in Swansea.  I was advised to contact them by an advisor on the Virgin Mobile helpline (789) and have written two letters to them - one in Seotember and another at the beginning of October.  Neither has been ackbnowledged.

I have now bought a tablet on which WhatsApp is working beautifully via our Virgin WiFi connection with no additional charges..

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi malvis,

Thanks for your post on the Forum. I'm sorry to hear that you've been having problems using the What'sApp application on your handset. 

Checking this for you, I can see that there may have been a miscommunication as I'm seeing alternative information regarding this on your account.

Please give us a call on 789 and request to speak direct to the Mobile Tech team in order to get this sorted out. I've left notes on your account stating the same.

I'm sorry that you've had such a poor experience getting this sorted out. Please let me know how you get on with this.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
malvis
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you TerriP for offering to help but I have decided to abandon using WhatsApp on my mobile phone. It was costing far too much. The first time I contacted 789 about the charges I received an apology and some credit. However, I kept on being charged and the second time I phoned 789 the advisor said she would do something about 'mobile data'. I received no credit for all the £2 charges I had incurred - and I subsequently was unable to use WhatsApp.   

I shall only be phoning 789 to put credit on my phone in future.

0 Kudos