Menu
Dave606
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Virgin selling customer details?

Funny how just weeks after getting a deal and renewing our Virgin Media contract I get one of those "pre approved" credit card letters in my name for 1 of those credit building high interest credit cards!.  Don't have a single credit agreement with any company apart from this in my own name, apart from a Virgin Mobile contract.  Have not recently applied for anything else that requires a credit check or provided any company with such personal details either. As I have never received such a thing in the post before and not happy to be receiving such things now.  

So, do Virgin Media pass on customer details onto such "specially sellected third parties" for any reason as I'm not happy receiving pre approved credit card application forms with my personal details on!.

If not down to Virgin, fair enough, anyone any ideas how I'd be receiving this now when the only company service agreements in my name is with Virgin.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin selling customer details?

Hi Dave606

Thanks for getting in touch.

The only mailing you would receive as a result of renegotiating a new agreement with us would potentially be mailshots form Virgin Mobile or other marketing offers from Virgin Media. We do not pass your details along to any other third parties, including other Virgin companies such as Virgin Travel, Virgin Atlantic etc

The mobile and media side of the business are in a partnership of sorts as we often both offer combined discounts if you take out both services with us.

I hope that helps and good luck!

Thanks again.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

All Replies
用心棒
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You would be surprised by the number of other sources for your personal information, i.e. open register (edited version of electoral roll), charities,  . . .  and so on.

Contact the credit card company and ask them for the source of your personal data. You may wish to do this by modifying the suggested text below for your own needs.

[Date]

Dear Sir or Madam

Notice under the Data Protection Act 1998 not to use my personal information for direct marketing.

I [your full name] of [your full address] require you to stop / not to begin processing personal information relating to me for direct marketing as soon as possible and in any event within 28 days of the date of this letter / email.

If you do not normally handle these requests for your organisation, please pass this letter to your Data Protection Officer or the person who does.

I would also like to know from where you sourced my information and the type of information sourced.

Please note that if you do not comply with this notice, I can apply to the court for an order against you under the Data Protection Act.

Yours faithfully
[Signature]

[original source: How can I stop an organisation from sending me junk mail?]

Note, from an organisation's perspective, “The Act does not require that you respond to a notice to stop direct marketing – it only requires you to stop. This is because you have no discretion about whether to comply with such a notice. However, acknowledging that you have received and acted on a notice is good practice, where this is appropriate.” [source: Should I respond to a notice to stop direct marketing]

0 Kudos
tinkermojoman
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I get spam and junk mail most days. I`m on Moneysupermarket.com and get loads of emails from them.  The electoral roll is another as the other person`s post mentioned. There`s a box you can tick when you get the electoral letter you get that checks your details are correct. That tells the council to remove your name and details off the roll that they sell to marketing firms etc. Many a time i`ve got some junk mail and thought how the hell did they know that about me.

My advice is to say to anyone you`re filling a form in for. I don`t want my details known by others. My bank only ticked a box because i said i didn`t want junk mail or spam. They wouldn`t have told me otherwise that i could ask or do that.  It`s a nice little earner for some companies.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Dave606

Thanks for getting in touch.

The only mailing you would receive as a result of renegotiating a new agreement with us would potentially be mailshots form Virgin Mobile or other marketing offers from Virgin Media. We do not pass your details along to any other third parties, including other Virgin companies such as Virgin Travel, Virgin Atlantic etc

The mobile and media side of the business are in a partnership of sorts as we often both offer combined discounts if you take out both services with us.

I hope that helps and good luck!

Thanks again.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

Dave606
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies, maybe electrol register being the cause then?, but I fully recall ticking the box to remove details from general public view or whatever it was so a little unsure on if that should prevent name and address details being available to the general public or if such finance companies abuse the system here in some way?.

But my address and details are not registered with any website (email yes) either so they can't have got them that way.  Only the bank (which this pre approved application never came from) and Virgin as a service provider have my details.  The Only others are the council (which may have commercial interests to supply such info?) and a security company I registered with for employment.

So either 1 of the above or an unknown source, just hate getting these things and will possibly (if that bothered) write to the company to enquire as to how and where they obtained my personal details.

But thanks for clarifying Virgin Media's policy on details Karen A.

Les01889
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've had the same thoughts about this. I'm pretty "**bleep**" about not passing on my details (phone numbers etc) but since taking out 2 contracts in recent months I've been getting unsolicited sales calls on the (vodafone) phone number I gave Virgin as contact number. I've had that number for over 15 years with no problems & I was beginning to suspect it was Virgin, the first calls started within days of passing this number to them.

0 Kudos