Menu
FoxyLady53
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Virgin mobile phone repair options

My contract with Virgin for Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is due to finish in March but the mobile has decided to switch itself off and wont restart again. I completed the diagnostics test on site and it needs to go in for repair. But..... on registering for repair it warns me to back everything up before sending it off and retain my SIM and SD cards as they will wipe the device clean.

How the hell can I back anything up if I can't even get it to switch on? I have copied the files and folders from my SD card over to my laptop in the hope that I can transfer them back to my new phone but there is lots of stuff that is stored to device which I don't want to lose :-( but doesn't look like I can retrieve it. I have looked at blogs on other help sites which start of promising but don't seem to have the answers for me. with today's 'smart' technology you would think there is a solution. yes I know most people back stuff up to cloud and the such, which I have, but wouldn't know how to get it back frankly :-( I'm not that savvy with technical stuff as you might guess.

I am hoping all my contacts are on my SD card for starters but one of the comments on purchasing a new phone was that you have to start with a formatted SD card so how the hell do I copy my contacts across to my pc first?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin mobile phone repair options

On android, contacts etc are saved to cloud storage as long as you have an account set up on the phone.

When you get the phone back, log in to the same account and all your settings, contacts etc will be there.

Photos, videos and tunes CAN be backed up as well, depends what settings you have. But if you have enabled cloud backup, its likely most,if  not all your data will be safe.

In addition,You could TRY connecting the phone to a PC using USB and running Samsung Kies or similair , if there is power to the mainboard of the phone, its sometimes possible to access internal storage by USB.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin mobile phone repair options

Hi FoxyLady53

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post on the forum.

As Kippies rightly states, on most phones there are features which automatically back up things like contacts and photos. It's important to note that it is not guaranteed to have backed up everything before the phone developed its issue so there is a possibility that some of your phone's content may be lost.

If your phone is not working properly then we certainly understand that an up to date backup may not be possible, but we do make the suggestion just in case it gives you the opportunity. 

If you have any questions about anything I've mentioned here please let me know.

Kind regards.

Dave

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos