Menu
complaint
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

***Virgin Mobile charged me £44 for only 300MB internet and refused refund! What should I do??

I was charged £44 for only 300MB I've used at Virgin Mobile. Yet my refund request was refused.

I was originally calling Virgin Media this summer to stop its broadband contract from re-occuring automatically after the contract expiry date, while somehow was transferred to the Virgin Mobile team where the staff induced me into signing up the £5 contract deal with virgin mobile.

The contract was agreed over the phone call where I was not having the contract with me, the only way I could know about the terms and conditions of the package deal was through what the staff told me. The staff only informed me what was included in the £5 monthly deal but DID NOT tell me that there would be a £2 charge per day after I reached the package's internet limit, as long as the mobile data is 'on' in the mobile's settings. This means even if you have not used your browsers at all (which means you have used almost 0MB data), you'll still be charged £2/day. 

***This is undoubtedly a very crucial commercial information which would definitely have influenced my decision of choosing whether or not to enter into this contract, yet the staff omitted to tell this information to me.

I have received text messages informing me that I have used up all of the package's monthly data, BUT, the message also NEVER told about the £2 charge thing.

******Therefore, based on trade customs, I assumed that I would only pay for the data I have used. Never expected that for the past two months, I have been charged £44 in total for only 300MB extra while 300MB only worth £3 according to Virgin Mobile's 'pay as you go'!!!

******It's incredible to be charged more than 10 times of the actual worth of the service which is definitely an unfair commercial behaviour  Yet when I called Virgin Media, they simply said as I signed up the contract there is nothing I can do about it.

*****Can I just ask if they would like to pay £44 for only 300MB? I'm sure the answer would be NO. So, as they would not like to do this, why would they let their customers do this? 

Apart from this, I was, at that time I signed the virgin mobile contract, having a monthly deal with another mobile company which had just started, so I told the staff that I wanted to sign the contract after that other monthly deal had expired.

However, the staff said that she would send me a cheque which covers the expense of that other mobile company's service so that I would not be paying twice, I singed the contract yet never received the cheque.

Also, the staff did not tell me we'll have to pay an additional £5 first in order to start the contract.

I used to trust Virgin Mobile and therefore I signed the contract on that day based on all those information.

Can anybody in this Community please tell me what I can do to all these in order to protect the rights and fairness I am entitled to as a Consumer??

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
zvonok
Superfast
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: ***Virgin Mobile charged me £44 for only 300MB internet and refused refund! What should I do??

,,, The contract was agreed over the phone call where I was not having the contract with me, the only way I could know about the terms and conditions of the package deal was through what the staff told me. ......

Apart from this, I was, at that time I signed the virgin mobile contract, ....

=================================================================================

You signed a contract  - it would seem, without understanding/or reading it thoroughly!!!

Having said that you  MAY have a case about the amount charged for usage combined with your mis-understanding of the contract - but that remains entirely with VM!!    (In my personal opinion) ... ZVNK ...

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: ***Virgin Mobile charged me £44 for only 300MB internet and refused refund! What should I do??

Sadly I agree, the OP's comment about payg data charges is also incorrect

If you us up 100 Mb a day if charges you £1 on payg
If you us 1 Mb a day each of 24 days it costs £24 at the rate of £1 per day

So use the virgin app control your data usage and get no bills

I'd be very happy and suprised if you get any rebate at all
Virgins terms and conditions are available on their website, as the info included with every sim tells you"
0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Isn't the OP on a contract? That's £2 per day

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

enlli wrote:

Isn't the OP on a contract? That's £2 per day

Yes, hence the £44 extra charge Smiley Sad.

AlexKid :-)

0 Kudos
complaint
Joining in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for your message.

Despite the fact that I signed the contract, 

It is unfair for a mobile company to charge its customers £44 for only 300MB internet (while under its pay as you go, for 300MB i only need to pay £3.) 

This shows that it can be inconvenient for customers to use Virgin Media's monthly deals, as after the day we exceed the internet allowances, there will always be days when inevitably we have to use the mobile data for a little while yet will trigger £2 for each time even if we do not use the internet that much.

It is obvious that this contract term can lead to negative  and unfair financial effect to the customers under certain circumstances and therefore Virgin Media should consider my complaint and consider my case's own situation, it should not let the term take effect cause in this way it takes £44 from me temporarily, but it loses its customers and therefore loses the chance of future profits.

***I just feel insecure that every time I choose Virgin Media I seem to step on some 'landmines' which triggers big amount of money to pay while this does not happen when I was using other mobile companies' service!!  

Virgin Media, too smartly tricky. 

0 Kudos
complaint
Joining in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I was on a monthly deal.

the month before last month, I used 221MB extra data, paid £22 based on their £2 rule.

This month I used 106MB extra data, paid £22 too. 

So therefore in total £44 for 327MB/328MB data. 

0 Kudos
complaint
Joining in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It is unfair to charge £44 for only 300MB.

Virgin Mobile says it is a valid charge only because the contract was signed.

But is an unfair charge still a valid charge to its customers?

0 Kudos
complaint
Joining in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Coincidently for each month I had 11 days beyond the contracted data limit. 

So 11 x £2 = £22/months.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

So months into a contract, after paying the data penalty previously, you are still going over knowing the cost, but are complaining about it??????

Have you tried to increase your data allowance to the next leve (some contracts can some can't) as doing that will stop the excess and save you a bag load over the contract term?

0 Kudos