Menu
blakeallen87
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

VM Error - now I have debt agency after me.

Earlier this year in April/May I contacted VM to pay a bill and then spoke to someone about finding out how much I would have to pay to get an early upgrade to a Galaxy S6. I was told I would be required to pay around £215. 

I took out my contract on and S4 Mini in white on 28th August 2013, the day before my 26th birthday. It was to be delivered by Yodel the next day but did not arrive so I called to find out where it was. It got "lost" in transit so I requested to arrange for me to go to my local VM store to pick up a phone instead. They agreed. I then ended up with two accounts because the sim card assigned to the phone wasn't the same as the one which came with the phone in store. They were understanding of the issue and wavered my first 2 month's bill, meaning September and October would be at no cost to me, with me paying November's bill in December.

Back to the initial problem. I called to discuss upgrades and packages. I found that VM were no longer doing unlimited data deals but instead 3.5gb or something per month which is no good to me so I requested the amount to cancel the contract. The figure was in the region of £215. To me that made no sense as I was paying £33 or so a month and my account was up to date. £33 a month would have mean another 7 months or so on my contract still to run.

I asked for the customer services rep to speak to the contracts department to make an amendment to my account and was informed it would be looked into and I would be contacted in due course, after they had confirmed with the contracts dept my contract would expire in August, not December. I had stated that until this was rectified due to a fault at VM end I would not be making any payments in future. I believe this to be more than reasonable as I am not prepared to pay beyond my 24 month contract, let alone stay with VM if I couldn't get unlimited data on an upgrade.

A few weeks had gone by and I was due to pay my next bill but had no contact from VM. This left me very disappointed. I phoned again to ask what the latest was and the VM CS rep also informed me the contact expires in December and the amount to cancel was still in the £250 region. I asked again to be reassured that my contract was due to expire in August, not December. The rep put me on hold and came back 2 minutes later confirming I was correct but only the contracts department could amend this. I said until it is rectified and I have notification of this I would not be making a payment. Again, more than reasonable given I had stuck to my part of the contract, supplied by VM, in August 2013 for a 24 month contract.

My phone then got suspended and so I went to EE and got a contract with them for the Galaxy S6. I contacted Virgin for the third time and every week since regarding this issue. On 15th of August I received a letter from Moorcroft Debt recovery for £217.73. Should this be necessary? I was in communication with VM, I had explained my concerns and had been informed that I was correct regarding the expiry date of my contract. I had given VM every opportunity to make the amendments to then give me reason to pay me bill. Moorcroft stated VM had put a note on my credit file saying I had defaulted.

So not only am I being chased by Moorcroft for money I do not owe, I am now being told as of today when I called that for this to be rectified I must make a £60 payment on my account for it to be reconnected. This is disgraceful as the fault lies with VM, not myself. I don't understand how difficult it is for VM to go into my account and make the amendments and contact me to inform me the account has been corrected. It is something that should have taken a few minutes, not months.

Who is in the wrong here?

Can someone from VM who can actually deal with my request and fulfill it get in touch?

Please leave a direct contact number with name, email address or reference number below.

Thanks

0 Kudos
blakeallen87
Joining in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Error - now I have debt agency after me.

Spoken to Amy at Moorcroft and account put on hold until 18th September to give VM more than enough time to fulfill my request and make the amendments on the account.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Error - now I have debt agency after me.

Hi blakeallen87,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you've had cancelling your contract with us. Appreciate this is frustrating for you,

I'd like to get this looked into for you.

I will send you a private message shortly (red envelope, top left hand side) to gather some details from you.

Speak soon

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos