Menu
peterbamforth
Just joined
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Unlocking a phone

I have just ended my virgin mobile contract - I was out of contract, due an upgrade, but didn't want to continue

I have a new SIM and want to put it in my old virgin media phone

How do I request the unlocking code from Virgin for my old phone - which I have paid for - it is mine!

thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unlocking a phone

It costs £15.32 for the unlock code for any phones sold-as-locked. You can ring 0345 600 0789 from any phone, try the thinking of leaving us option as they're UK based and should be helpful.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unlocking a phone

Have you checked to see if the phone is actually locked? If this was a contract phone as opposed to a PAYG then it might well have been supplied factory unlocked to start with. This has been the case for some years.

Try a SIM from a different network, doesn't need to have any credit on it. Best to use a SIM that is not EE based. If the phone is locked it should prompt for the unlock code. Don't try and enter anything, just switch it off.

You should also view the £15.32 as a limit. Shops that unlock phones can be found on any high street or market. What's the going rate for your make and model? It might well be possible to get the code on ebay. Pick a vendor with high volume and good feedback who state they can unlock your make and model from Virgin UK. I've unlocked a variety of handsets from as little as £2-£3. The code is emailed within a few hours. 

0 Kudos