Menu
JN71
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Under warranty phone not being repaired

Job Number: VM0836418
RE: SONY - SON-STD-M4BAP37-2A

I sent my mobile phone into yourselves with a fault with the screen. The screen is blank and cannot be used.

As I heard nothing for a week, I phoned your department as the website said the phone is OOW (Out Of Warranty). I was told that the phone was no longer in warranty as the SD card cover was missing.

I disagreed with this (the cover was on the phone when boxed) and was told that an enquiry was noted and a manager would call me about it, which I never received.

Then a few weeks later (5th October) the phone was returned with a letter stating that the fault was found and it cannot be repaired as it's not covered under the warranty.

Also within the letter it stated that you attempted to call, but this was not the case.

I then called again to be told that liquid damage has been found and that's the reason it's not covered by the warranty. Also if I wanted to have the phone repaired, I would need to pay £66!

I can assure you this is not the case. The phone is with me all the time and has not at any time been near any liquids. Please can you provide photo evidence of the damage that you claim has happened. Also I would like a detailed report from the department of the procedure.

If you cannot provide the information as I now have no phone and am still paying for it, I will be forced to seek advice about claiming from you a 'Not fit for purpose' item that is still under warranty.

I also read from various forums (including this one) that others have experienced similar complications from yourselves and you have said that same thing to them. 

Is this a standard thing to get out of a repair that would probably not put a dent in your profit margin!

I await your response.
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Under warranty phone not being repaired

Sadly water damage is so easy to see, there are a few small white tabs inside the phone, they go pink to red when moisture to very wet, so as fast as they see it if it's now full white it's not covered by the warranty. You can always get it returned and then go via Sony and see what they saw, but I'd not hold my breath 

JN71
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,
Thanks J0hn. I would accept that the phone had water damage if it had been near water or liquids, but this is not the case.

Beside the phone is supposedly waterproof! Even if water were split on it I would hoped that it would still work!

Time to make this an actual complaint!

Thanks
Jason

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Am I see now, the SD card  cover is a requirement in keeping the phone waterproof, without it..........

I understand it's a Virgin issue as you bought it from them, but have you tried speaking direct to Sony?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jason,

I've removed your duplicate post.

Please don't repost the same message as per the House Rules - Thank you.

AlexKid :-)

0 Kudos
JN71
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi J0hn,
Thanks for the reply. The SD card has always been on the phone (never use it, so no reason to take it off) and was on the phone when it was boxed to go back (really wish I had taken a photo).

The technical team claim it was missing, which I disputed, and when asked if it could have fallen off into the box in transit, they had no answer!

Again the phone has never been in contact with water or any other liquids.

No, I haven't contacted Sony. The phone was sent back without the SD card cover on it and Sony no doubt will say the same thing. I understand what you are saying but the fault lies with Virgin and selling me a faulty phone. Each time I call, they don't seemed bothered!

Thanks
Jason

0 Kudos
JN71
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@AlexKid

My apologises. Just getting frustrated!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi JN71,

I'm sorry that you're phone repair has been denied. 

If you disagree with the conclusion of our repair centre, you do have the option of seeking a second opinion from the manufacturer directly.

You can find Sony's contact details here: http://support.sonymobile.com/gb/contactUs/

Let us know how you get on.

Many thanks.

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos