Menu
mikemaas
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Tarriff-change and tarriffs

I emailed this to The Team,but they don`t respond any more. Apologies if too many subjects. If any "community" member is kind enough to reply to this I wonder if they could use email - much quicker and easier than the tedious browser-logon-username-password rigmarole.

Dear Team,

1. I logged on to my account today, then logged off, and then tried to log on again but my email-address-password combination was rejected that time. Trying to get a new password, I was asked for a username, but I`ve only got my email address, which worked when I got through the first time but was rejected this time. Trying to get a username I was asked for area code and account number but I haven`t kept any bill. Obstacles all the way ! Please set me up with a username and password.

2. I`m wondering whether to return to PAYG from my present £5 a month. How do I make the change ? Should I time it for the very last day of my pay-month so that I get the full benefit of the £5?

3. My phone reaches for emails and other notifications from the mobile network  if it`s out of wifi range. Am I right to say that if I can`t find a way of stopping it when I`m on PAYG I`ll be charged at  the £1 per day per 100MB rate ? I have a ZTE KIS3 bought from Virgin. Any instructions on how to stop it getting data from the mobile network ?

4. Apparently I`m on a “SIM only” rate. What does that mean ?  A phone`s no use without a SIM and a SIM is no use without a phone. But you also offer a “phone” contract. Puzzling. I wonder if I`m missing something.

It would be handy if you could use email for your reply. I`m having trouble hearing high-pitched voices, specially those with a foreign accent speaking quickly.

Hoping to hear from you

Mike Maas, [MOD EDIT: Removed personal information]

For messages to Mike please use [MOD EDIT: Removed personal information]. For messages to Wendy please use [MOD EDIT: Removed personal information]

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tarriff-change and tarriffs

Hi Mike,

with regard to the trouble that you're having logging in to your on line account I can only suggest that you call Virgin mobile customer services on 789 from your Virgin mobile or 0345 6000 789 from any other phone and see if they can reset this for you.

As to changing from your £5 pr month SIM only tariff ("SIM only" means that you are just paying for an airtime/texts/data allowance on your SIM, not also for the cost of a device). This is fairly straightforward, you just need to give 30 days notice. So the ideal time would be just before your next refresh date, that way you will have one month's worth of allowance to use before changing to your chosen pay as you go tariff.

Once on pay as you go, unless you've chosen the "Big data & text" tariff and topped up the month before then YES, you will be charged for data when not connected to WIFI.
The easiest way to prevent this is to disable (turn off) mobile data on your phone. > With most Android devices, just slide your finger down from the top of the screen and you will see settings, mobile data there - just turn it off.

For further info' on using your phone, you can select it from the link here: Phone Support

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Lurcherlover
Dialled in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

To answer your question:

"I logged on to my account today, then logged off, and then tried to log on again but my email-address-password combination was rejected that time. Trying to get a new password, I was asked for a username, but I`ve only got my email address, which worked when I got through the first time but was rejected this time. Trying to get a username I was asked for area code and account number but I haven`t kept any bill. Obstacles all the way ! Please set me up with a username and password."

I think you have clicked on the 'My Virgin Media' forgotten username link as that will ask you for your account number and area reference. There are two login's, one for Media and one for Mobile. Mobile will ask for your email address and mobile number etc.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Mike,

with regard to the trouble that you're having logging in to your on line account I can only suggest that you call Virgin mobile customer services on 789 from your Virgin mobile or 0345 6000 789 from any other phone and see if they can reset this for you.

As to changing from your £5 pr month SIM only tariff ("SIM only" means that you are just paying for an airtime/texts/data allowance on your SIM, not also for the cost of a device). This is fairly straightforward, you just need to give 30 days notice. So the ideal time would be just before your next refresh date, that way you will have one month's worth of allowance to use before changing to your chosen pay as you go tariff.

Once on pay as you go, unless you've chosen the "Big data & text" tariff and topped up the month before then YES, you will be charged for data when not connected to WIFI.
The easiest way to prevent this is to disable (turn off) mobile data on your phone. > With most Android devices, just slide your finger down from the top of the screen and you will see settings, mobile data there - just turn it off.

For further info' on using your phone, you can select it from the link here: Phone Support

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Lurcherlover
Dialled in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

To answer your question:

"I logged on to my account today, then logged off, and then tried to log on again but my email-address-password combination was rejected that time. Trying to get a new password, I was asked for a username, but I`ve only got my email address, which worked when I got through the first time but was rejected this time. Trying to get a username I was asked for area code and account number but I haven`t kept any bill. Obstacles all the way ! Please set me up with a username and password."

I think you have clicked on the 'My Virgin Media' forgotten username link as that will ask you for your account number and area reference. There are two login's, one for Media and one for Mobile. Mobile will ask for your email address and mobile number etc.

mikemaas
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes, thankyou AlexKid for your painstaking answer. I think it`ll solve all my diffies.

I guess you`re not employees of Virgin. Do you get any reward from  them for being a member of tbis problem-solving Communith ? 

0 Kudos
mikemaas
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for helpful response, Lurcherlover. You`ve set me on the right path through the Virgin web-maze.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

mikemaas wrote:

Yes, thankyou AlexKid for your painstaking answer. I think it`ll solve all my diffies.

I guess you`re not employees of Virgin. Do you get any reward from  them for being a member of tbis problem-solving Communith ? 

Hi Mike,

you guess correctly Smiley Wink

This is a community forum. The reward is knowing that you may have been able to help someone Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mikemaas
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

They`re extremely fortunate to have your services, and so am I.  A cop-out on Virgin`s part, though I think they`ll still speak to customers on the phone and in tneir shops. I get the impression that Microsoft, takng it another step further, shuns all contact with customers. The more fools we, I suppose. 

0 Kudos