Menu
smeilly
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sony xperia warranty void

Angry is an understatement at this moment in time ๐Ÿ˜ฃ

So my Sony xperia has decided to strart turning itself off, so I sent it off for repair. One week later I'm still waiting for my phone so I rang them. Apparently, my phone hasn't been repaired as the imei sticker is missing. I certainly haven't removed it so either it was never there or the repair centre have removed it. The girl on the phone said normally it is located on the back of thgthge phones battery .... Which I can't get to as you can't open the phone. However, online some websites are saying it is located on the sim or SD card tray .... Which seems a ridiculous place to put something so important !!!! Virgin recon in order to have faulty phone repaired I have to pay 120 pound !!!!! I don't bloody think so. It seems to a common occurance of these phones dying and missing imei numbers. So may be virgin need to take responsibility for supplying dodgy pohones to their customers. Any ideas on what my next steps are ? Thank you x

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sony xperia warranty void

Hi smeilly

I'm sorry about the update you've had from the team regarding the phone you sent in for repair. Whilst we make every effort to ensure your phone gets repaired, if the warranty is impacted then we do have to address this situation. Unfortunately if the IMEI label is removed or damaged then this does void the warranty.

In terms of alternative options, if you have insurance on the handset then it may be a case of looking at replacing the handset via an insurance claim however an excess fee may apply. You can also query it with the manufacturer directly as they also hold a warranty on the handset. Alternatively there are other repair companies around but we would advise checking with manufacturer approved repair companies as they will be able to restore the warranty on the handset.

I can certainly understand the impact this has had on you, if you wish to make your voice heard and raise a complaint, then our guide on the Consumer Complaint Resolution Code of Practice outlines the steps involved. 

If there is anything further I can help with then please let me know.

Dave

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
alainsworth
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,
This evening I have received a phone call from the Virgin repair centre stating the exact same issues your post virtually down to the letter!
My Sony Xperia was having signal issues, they now want ยฃ67 to allow them to fix the phone as the imei number is missing!?!

I am interested in what your outcome was in this matter? Hope you got it sorted out?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
smeilly
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alainsworths... I got them to send me the phone back and ordered a new battery and replacement back panel for ยฃ12 and fixed it myself ๐Ÿ˜Š My phone is now working fine. There are demo videos on YouTube that show you how to change the battery. Needless to say I won't be renewing my contract with Virgin in a couple of months. Hope you manage to sort your phone ๐Ÿ‘
0 Kudos
alainsworth
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Smeilly,

Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear you managed to sort your phone out (albeit at your own expense).

I'm just about to give customer services a ring to try and sort mine out.

Having trawled the internet last night I've come to the conclusion that this is obviously not an isolated case. It seems rather conveniant that Virgin customers are having problem after problem with these Sony handsets and a missing number label (that I can only assume in my case was either not there to begin with or has been mislaid at the repair centre) will generate an additional revenue stream to offset the obvious losses they are making.

My only concern (with regards to my situation) is that this is the second time I have had signal issues with this phone, they were unable to fix it last time and had to send a replacement handset, so I'm not sure getting the phone back to repair myself would be my best option?

Wish me luck!

0 Kudos
Sj6904
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

There is definitely a pattern developing here; here is my current thread that I am still waiting for a resolution on.....

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Mobile/Sony-Xperia-E5-fault-voided-warrant...

0 Kudos
DebbiexAdamson
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My son and I both have sony experia phones. Both have had problems with charging and powering off after charging. With my son virgin media said that they couldn't fix it because it had been water damaged. My son insists that the phone wasn't ever wet but Virgin say it could have been in a steamy room or out in the rain! We paid for a replacement phone for him. Now my sony experia is having exactly the same issues. This time virgin say that the scratches on the casing have voided the warranty. Surely virgin can't be allowed to continue this level of service. We are looking to get out of our contracts on the basis of extremely poor service. Can anyone suggest a decent alternative?

0 Kudos