Menu
Sj6904
Tuning in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Sony Xperia E5 fault/voided warranty?

Recently signed up to a contract for the Xperia E5 in November 2016, and had an intermittent problem with the handset pretty much from the offset. On making or answering calls the person at the other end could not hear me. Hanging up and ringing back did not resolve the issue but rebooting would. The handset would be fine for a while and then the problem would eventually come back... I also found the earpiece to be very tinny on calls, but wasn't sure if this was due to it being a lower end model phone; this would then sometimes 'pop' mid call and appear to sound half decent again.

I eventually decided to send it back under warranty this week, following an incident with my elderly mother who made several 'failed' calls to me when she needed taking urgently to hospital....

I have tonight received a call from the repair centre explaining that my warranty is void because a sticker has been removed from underneath the sim card reader! The sim card is inserted via a tray into the side like the iPhone and the handset is a solid built-in battery type unit, you can't even see or access this without stripping the handset into pieces...why would I do this and why on earth would somebody even try to repair a 12 week old handset that is under warranty? The repair centre explained that there would be a repair charge of £97 pounds; no explanation as to whether or not they had identified the cause of reported faults. 

The phone is in immaculate condition, never dropped or scratched and has been in a protective gel case from new. It is a second phone with very light use as I have a works iPhone.

I can only assume that the "void if removed" warranty sticker is fitted by Sony at the factory. If this is the case, it is therefore unlikely to be replaced by a third party repair centre following any subsequent disassembly/repair. As I know with 100% certainty that I have not taken the handset apart, the only logical assumption is that this handset came to me from Virgin (as a purportedly 'new' handset) in this state, and I have therefore been sent/miss-sold a refurbished or "previously repaired" unit. As the fault is/was intermittent, this would explain why the repair centre might have previously 'checked' and found it to be working fine and sent it back out. Either that or it is some sort of scam at the repair centre.

Either way Virgin want £97 off me to repair the phone due to it not having this sticker on it somewhere inside the circuit board. I have refused to pay it and the repair centre are returning it to me unrepaired. I now have to use a faulty phone for the remaining 20 months of my contract before I throw it in the bin and move to a proper mobile service provider.

This is my first mobile contract with Virgin. Is this a common thread with Virgin's warranty service or have I just been sent a lemon from them? Can't say as I'll be rushing back or recommending them to anybody else......

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Minimouse2017
Tuning in
Message 17 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Sony Xperia E5 fault/voided warranty?

Hi there 

I've had exactly the same problem with the warranty ,I was told it was inside the memory card slot though 

The fault I have is with the microphone which I might add was told by virgin mobile is a common fault not to worry they would fix it,I had people call me who couldn't hear me and vice versa.

Any way sent it off to get fixed at the end of May 2017 only to get a call telling me that due to not sticker being in the memory card slot they couldn't fix it and would cost me £96 like I argued about the warranty how would I go in the phone etc they wasn't interested at all.

They tried to send the phone in which I have refused to sign for ,had the phone 7 months give or take 

To be told its a known fault then get told about the warranty I was annoyed ,now after reading this I know I have done the right and I'm going to stand my ground on it .

Virgin mobile are crap been with them for over 10 years over this incident with 1 mobile phone they restricted my other 2mobile phones without notice ,1of my children is autistic and with all this madness happening lately with our children I was worried with having no contact with them tried to sort it out with virgin mobile they was not interested,so I've had to take other mobile contracts out for my children as well as myself ,will be taking screenshots of this as evidence 

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sj6904,

Thanks for your post on the Community Forum and welcome. I'm sorry that you're having a problem with your Sony Xperia E5 handset and that the repair has been refused. Have you disputed this with our Mobile Team? What was the result of this?

If you are still having a problem with this, please let me know and I'll look into this for you.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Sj6904
Tuning in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi, yes I have disputed this with both the repair centre and with 'customer services'. I was told last Wednesday that a supervisor would call me back the following day. When this failed to happen I called back again on Saturday. Then I was told that they could not look into the incident properly as the Repair Centre do not work weekends. They said that it would be followed up on Monday and somebody would get back to me......again......they have not.

My phone has since been returned,unrepaired. The interesting thing with the return note however is that the explanation given for refusal differs from the reason given to me by the Repair Centre Operative when I was initially called and asked to pay £97. The first call suggested, as previously explained, that a sticker inside the device had been 'removed' and thus voids my warranty. The letter accompanying my returned phone explains that they have identified the fault with the faulty microphone, however this fault is not covered by my warranty; nothing about stickers missing.....

Either way, it stinks of some sort of directive being given to squirm out of warranty obligations in order to help save money. As I pointed out previously, nobody in their right mind is going to take apart a 12 week old handset and attempt to effect their own repair when it is (supposed to be) covered under warranty. It seems that after pointing this out, looking at the letter I have had back with my un-fixed handset, this fact has been agreed with the Repair Centre and the reason now given for my voided warranty has changed! Good look explaining this at court.......

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sj6904,

Thanks for getting back to me with the details about your warranty repair refusal. I'm sorry that this hasn't been sorted out for you.

I'd like to look into this to see if I can offer further support, so I'll send you a private message requesting further details. Just check the envelope icon at the top right of this page.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Sj6904
Tuning in
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Sent. Please note additional comments regarding minor damage to handset body caused by the repair centre when levering out the glass screen, whilst not even bothering to effect the repair..... 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sj6904,

Thank you for sending the requested information via PM. I will get in touch with our Mobile Team in order to look into this further for you.

I'll be back in touch as soon as I have more information on this for you.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Mobile/Mobile-phone-repair-warranty-void/m...

worth a read - seems you are not the only one to have removed the sticker - or maybe they were never there in the first place - seem to remember another thread along the same lines

there certainly is a trend that warranty is refused for strange reasons - searching will show you many cases

Tony
Sj6904
Tuning in
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Wow, thanks Tony. This is an uncannily familiar tale! It also echoes my suspicions outlined earlier with regards to managerial directives for cutting spending and recouping repair costs..... 

Virgin Moderators, please read the previously highlighted post from User Tony and provide a constructive response......

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi -tony- and Sj6904,

Thank you for bringing this to our attentions. I have escalated this with our Mobile Team. I'll be back in touch as soon as I have more information on this.

@Sj6904: I've sent you a PM providing a more account specific update on this as well.

Thanks,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

0 Kudos
Sj6904
Tuning in
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Right, Tony linked a reply to a previous (very similar) complaint as mine that I found to be helpful. I marked the reply accordingly and now my post appears to be flagged up as 'resolved' showing a green tick. This is far from being resolved, as I have not moved on any further since my initial call telling me about the 'voided' warranty. My defective handset is now sitting on a shelf at home awaiting repair or replacement.....

It may come as no surprise that the SECOND call back that I was promised would happen yesterday (Thursday) following my weekend chase-up  did not materialise either.

I have had private messages on here explaining that the complaint has been 'escalated', but as yet am no further on and have no further instruction as to the repair/replacement of my defective phone. 

Please un-flag this post as being resolved, as it is not. The customer service provided by Virgin on this is absolutely shocking.....

0 Kudos