Menu
Notle
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Simply 8p tariff charging for calls to another virgin mobile phone.

Why am I suddenly being charged for calls to another  mobile by my Simply 8p Tariff?

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 55
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Simply 8p tariff charging for calls to another virgin mobile phone.

Hi Notle,

thanks for posting this. I thought it was just me!

I've got two simply 8p SIM's in my family and they both started charging for Virgin to Virgin calls last week even though neither were near the 50 minutes allowance.

I've had to make loads of phone calls to keep getting the charges refunded and hoped that today (1st of the month refresh) everything would be sorted out.

Unfortunately not, still no free Virgin Mobile minutes.

Another hour on the phone and this time I've been given some promotional / goodwill minutes and an IT ticket has been raised with the promise of a call back on Saturday if it's not sorted by then.

Fingers crossed.

AlexKid :-)

Superuser1718.png

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 55
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Notle,

thanks for posting this. I thought it was just me!

I've got two simply 8p SIM's in my family and they both started charging for Virgin to Virgin calls last week even though neither were near the 50 minutes allowance.

I've had to make loads of phone calls to keep getting the charges refunded and hoped that today (1st of the month refresh) everything would be sorted out.

Unfortunately not, still no free Virgin Mobile minutes.

Another hour on the phone and this time I've been given some promotional / goodwill minutes and an IT ticket has been raised with the promise of a call back on Saturday if it's not sorted by then.

Fingers crossed.

Superuser1718.png
Notle
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Hello AlexKid

Thanks for your response. I had thought that my problem was perhaps connected with the fact that I have recently been provided with a replacement Sim to fit an Iphone. The first four calls made to a Virgin mobile on 23rd/24th Jan were all "In tariff" and not charged. Subsequently all calls to a Virgin mobile made from 26th Jan on have not  been "In tariff"and charged at 8p. I think I now need to talk with VM to see if I can find out whats going on!

Notle 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Hi Notle,

there are a few coincidences here.

I've also just started using a replacement SIM (but only for one of my phone's). I first noticed the charges for calling other Virgin Mobiles on the 27th.

I didn't make any calls on the 26th though so it's fair to assume that this may be the start date of the problem.

Speaking to customer services, no one seemed to have heard of this tariff. One "Advisor" even tried to convince me that I was mistaken.

I had to call 789 on my other phone > option 3 "check or change your tariff" and then hold the speaker of one phone to the other so that he could hear the automated recording say " Calls are just 8p a minute and texts are 8p to any UK network plus you get 50 free minutes of calls to other Virgin Mobile numbers from the start of every month"

At that point he caved in and re-credited my account.

It still took another call today to get an IT ticket raised to look into the issue.

Good luck when you call in (I wonder if others on the Simply 8p tariff are equally affected?).

I'll post back if I get any updates Smiley Wink

Superuser1718.png
Notle
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Hi  AlexKid

Another coincidence. I was attempting  talk to customer services yesterday and  was speaking with someone just long  enough to  gather that he too had never heard of Simply 8p when the connection failed! I gave up at that point but will try again and let you know the outcome.

Notle

Notle
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Hello  AlexKid

I have just had a frustrating half an hour on the phone going around in circles talking to Customer Services. The outcome was much the same as yours - a take it or leave it goodwill 300 mins of Airtime Allowance (all ready added to my account!) and  a Customer Complaint raised.

I think that it can be assumed that all Simply 8 p customers are affected and there will be no more free calls to Virgin mobiles, unless you top up a minimum of £10 per month! VM seem to be completely unconcerned that this change has been implemented without any prior notice to customers affected.  

Notle 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Hi Notle,

the £10 per month top up is a different promotion (works across all tariffs I think) available to Media customers who have texted their home phone number or account number to 789444 to get unlimited calls to other Virgin Mobile numbers the following month.

Listening to the details of the Simply 8p tariff when calling 789 > option 3 still states 50 free minutes per month to other Virgin Mobile numbers (regardless of topping up).

I certainly hope that this is just a "glitch" and that VM aren't ending the tariff!

As you say, prior warning if this were to be the case would certainly be in order.

I await my "call back" with the result of the IT ticket raised and will update here.

Well done with the 300 goodwill minutes Smiley Wink

Superuser1718.png
cunnith
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Like other people here on the Simply 8p tariff, my wife and I have both been charged in the last 10 days for calls to other Virgin mobile numbers even though we have never been charged before.  I spoke to customer service who put me on hold for 15 minutes then I was cut off. I'll try again later.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Hi cunnith,

persevere with calls to customer services (free from your mobile on 789) and keep this thread updated.

I was lucky enough during working hours to get my call answered by an advisor in the UK (Manchester) who true to his word did call me back.

However, he admitted that the response from the IT ticket he raised was "unacceptable".

They declared that the reason I hadn't received my VM to VM minutes was because I had not topped up. (The 50 free VM to VM minutes from the first of every month is not reliant on a top up) provided that the account is in credit, which it is.

He said that in light of the response, it was pointless raising another IT ticket and instead would bring this to the attention of his manager.

I await another call back, hopefully tomorrow (Wednesday).

Superuser1718.png
cunnith
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, AlexKid.

I phoned twice this morning.  On both occasions, a recorded message told me the wait would be less than 30 seconds.  On the first call, I was cut off after around 5 minutes.  On the second call, I hung up after listening to loud music for 10 minutes (personally, I'd like a "press 1 for music, press 2 for silence" option!).

The free minutes are still listed on 

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/media/pdf/VML1101051+Simply+8p+Joining+Pack+Nov+Update_LR.pdf

Maybe I'll wait till you get your reply from them.