Menu
helphelphelp
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Roam like Home for everybody?

Hi, Does everybody automatically get 'Roam like Home' or is it only selected plans? I'm on the legacy VIP 3G plan (unlimited everything). I've never heard anything from Virgin saying I'm on Roam Like Home, but will I just automatically get it? Thanks.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Roam like Home for everybody?

Hi helphelphelp,

when travelling in the EU roaming charges have now been abolished for all mobile users as per the EU ruling: https://ec.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/news/agreement-end-roaming-charges-june-2017_en

So regardless of your plan you can now use your UK allowances in an EU country just as you would in the UK subject to fair use limits.

(Make sure that it is enabled in your Virgin Mobile account).

Click on this link for more information on VM's roaming: Roaming Hub.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

All Replies
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi helphelphelp,

when travelling in the EU roaming charges have now been abolished for all mobile users as per the EU ruling: https://ec.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/news/agreement-end-roaming-charges-june-2017_en

So regardless of your plan you can now use your UK allowances in an EU country just as you would in the UK subject to fair use limits.

(Make sure that it is enabled in your Virgin Mobile account).

Click on this link for more information on VM's roaming: Roaming Hub.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

helphelphelp
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the super fast answer Alexkid and the reassurance. Cheers.

0 Kudos
nleaney
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Worth remembering than not all countries that you might expect to be in the EU are included in the roaming agreement.

I've just come back from Guernsey and I received a txt on my mobile (on EE) informing me that my plan minutes, texts and data were available at no extra cost, my wife and daughter (both on VM) received no such roaming notification text but instead incurred hefty roaming charges for the data they used while they were there.  Thanks VM :-(

The Roaming Hub link above is useful but what would have been better would have been a roaming welcome text detailing the costs (like I got from EE and I'm sure they used to get from VM) rather than expect customers to confirm on the VM website before hand.  It's operator practices like this (i.e. incurring unexpectedly high roaming charges) that the EU were trying get rid of when they introduced the agreement.

Whats stranger is that VM piggy back on the EE network so you'd have thought that basic network operation and charges would be consistent between the two organisations.