Menu
Jamesgardner13
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Restricting data usage

Is there any way that I can restrict my sons data usage so that he does not go above is limit
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Restricting data usage

Not something Virgin can do.

It's possible with settings/apps on most phones, but you'll need trust in your son that he would not just turn it back on again :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jamesgardner13

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I regret it's not possible for us to restrict the data usage at a network level, however we make it really easy to check the remaining allowances:

- Dial 789 from your Virgin mobile

- Install the free 'My Account' app on your handset

If he runs out of data, he can also turn off the data from the Settings on his handset until his next refresh date.

Data use outside of the allowances is charged at £2 per day.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
AElls64
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I have just got a new contract phone for my daughter. I was told by sales team when I ordered that a credit limit can be set so I do not ever pay more than the contractual amount. I have phone 789 and they say lowest limit is £25 not the £5 contract I have. I'm pretty annoyed as my daughter will not necessarily be responsible enough to stick to allowances. I am frustrated that the sales guy lied to me also. And trying to voice my concern is nigh on impossible! I tried web chat and just didn't get a response even though it said assistant available. Can't seem to find an email to send queries to and when I phone 789 get through to Indian call centre who just said they cant do it and offer no further assistance.

0 Kudos
Les01889
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

unfortunately the sales teams seem to tell you any old bo77ox to get you to sign up

lots of posts about exactly this point

as you say a £25 per month credit limit is next to useless

0 Kudos
geriann
Superfast
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

i've always been charged £1 per day if i go over my data limit.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi AElls64,

Welcome to the Community Forum. I'm sorry to hear that you have been given incorrect information. Caps cannot be applied and we suggest keeping track of your usage via Your Account. Use of other apps via WiFi service can help to keep from going over contracted data usage amount.

For more information about this, please have a look at our online information: Pay Monthly SIMs - just scroll down to Got a question about our services? 

If you would like to discuss this further, please get in touch via 789 or 0345 6000 789 or get in touch via WebChat on Contact Us.

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

geriann wrote:
i've always been charged £1 per day if i go over my data limit.

Hi geriann,

from 1st July the price increased to £2 per day Smiley Sad

AlexKid :-)

MCuth
Just joined
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It seems a lot of people are experiencing the same problem.  My daughter has gone over her limit this month and has been charged £3 per day. It has happened in the past so she set up the app to check.  Says she was not notified this month that she was getting low on data. Surely something can be done to solve this issue?  How can you set up a credit limit please?

0 Kudos