Menu
hifidez
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Request to order new phone - referred to underwriters (again) - time to close our Virgin accounts

On the 9th Sept. my wife emailed ConsumerUnderwritingServices@virginmedia.co.uk

Dear Sirs,

Failed attempt to buy new phone (Account FA *********, Mobile: *********)

My husband has been trying, on my behalf, to purchase a new phone from Virgin.

He tried to purchase a [phone], on-line, two or three times but the credit check failed with a recommendation to phone the Virgin Sales team. He did this and he was told that the credit check would need to be referred to the underwriting team, and that it would take a number of days for the reply to come through. As we were just about to go on holiday he said he'd phone again on our return.

After our holiday he phoned again. We were told that as there had been a certain number of searches on our credit file (no surprise there, it was Virgin doing the searches!) that we would have to wait a month before applying again.... etc. etc. 

The reply to this was that we had to wait until the lock against our purchase expired.  So, finally we tried to make a new order last Thursday.  Guess what? Again there are probelms,  Virgin just don't want to sell us a new phone.  This is a copy of my wife's  FINAL email to Virgin:

Reluctantly I took your advice.  On Thursday 6th Oct, on my behalf, my husband telephoned Virgin to order a new phone.

As I expected, the application was referred to the underwriting team.

Yesterday (7th October) I had a phone call ; it was hard to understand what the person was saying.  It seems some information didn't match?  Or was it just a call to say nothing had happened yet?  I wasn't sure.

She asked how Iong I had had an account with virgin.  Why?  That should surely be a matter of looking at my account record.

She asked how long I had lived at my current address.  My husband said 20 years.  That's a rounded figure; we actually moved here in March 1997 which is 19 years and 7 months.  Surely 20 years is accurate enough?

I told the person that she should only 'phone again only when Virgin were happy to sell me a new phone.

If, yet again, Virgin makes it impossible for me to buy a new phone then, I seriously assure you, MY HUSBAND AND I WILL CLOSE OUR ACCOUNTS.

That is no idle threat.  That WILL be the case.

I have never missed any payment due to Virgin.  My credit history, and my husband's credit history. are both totally sound,  We know this because we ordered copies from Experian to check.  We did this because you were treating us in such a confusing and unfair manner.  We were worried, seriously worried, that there was something untoward recorded against us.

Either sell me a phone or we are no longer Virgin customers.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Request to order new phone - referred to underwriters (again) - time to close our Virgin accounts

Honestly, you are not the only ones. This is a re-occurring theme on here. People with excellent credit being refused.

Some have walked into shops run be other networks and walked out again in half an hour with a new phone. 

It's up to you what to do.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Request to order new phone - referred to underwriters (again) - time to close our Virgin accounts

If you have great mobile coverage them EE is the place to go, your phones will take their sim cards and they have 4G so a cheaper sim only deal would work well and be cheaper
0 Kudos

All Replies
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Honestly, you are not the only ones. This is a re-occurring theme on here. People with excellent credit being refused.

Some have walked into shops run be other networks and walked out again in half an hour with a new phone. 

It's up to you what to do.

0 Kudos
hifidez
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes, it's up to us. We have decided not to play Virgin's game any more. All one wants and expects to hear is "You'd like to upgrade your phone? Certainly, when would you like it delivered?" But Virgin make it hard. So very hard.

I have decided to part company, after years of custom, whatever they now say to us. I cannot justify staying with a company with such a poor attitude towards good customers. It would be totally illogical to remain as a Virgin account holder.

Virgin do not deserve our business. I can understand them being picky with new customers. After all, does any company want to waste time and money chasing 'scallies' for overdue payments?

But established, reliable, trustworthy people? Stroll on Virgin. We'll give you a miss.

Firstly I need to settle the remaining payments for my Sony phone; I can easily afford that. Then, I'll cancel our direct debits and enjoy telling Virgin I have done so.
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you have great mobile coverage them EE is the place to go, your phones will take their sim cards and they have 4G so a cheaper sim only deal would work well and be cheaper
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Request to order new phone - referred to underwriters (again) - time to close our Virgin acco...

Hi hifidezm,

I'm sorry to hear that you have experienced such difficulties trying to order a new phone with us and tried on numerous occasions to get in touch with us to get this issue resolved. 

I understand that the reply you have received from the Consumer Underwriter Service was not the response expected. 

If you have raised a formal complaint by calling or writing in to us (please see Contact Us: www.virginmedia.com/contactus > Something else > Making a complaint > Virgin Media Complaints Code of Practice for these details) and have not come to a satisfactory resolution, there are other options you can take, as outlined in our Code of Practice.

If you would like to escalate your concerns to us then please get in touch on 789 (Freephone from a Virgin Mobile) or 0345 6000 789 (from any other phone) or 150 (free from a Virgin Media landline) to allow us to address your complaint.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
hifidez
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Request to order new phone - referred to underwriters (again) - time to close our Virgin acco...

Thank you for the reply. Appreciate it very much.

As it happened we had a phone call Sunday pm from customer service telling us that we could now go ahead with the order. Because it was the simplest solution we did go ahead; terminating our Virgin accounts seemed just too much bother.

Then on Monday, just AFTER Yell delivered the new phone, we had an email in reply to the complaint I copied above. To cut to the chase it said "We have reviewed your application manually and following further checks, we’re happy to offer you a Pay Monthly option right now! "

Plus we were given an 0800 priority phone number... I'm keeping that for future use, just in case.

I cannot believe how long it has taken to be 'approved' for an £8 per month credit agreement. I could go to DFS and come home with £3000 worth of furniture with far less hassle. Maybe they actually WANT my business.

It has been said...  A happy customer tells someone else he's happy.  If he's unhappy, he tells 10 people.  Something like that anyway.

I'm satisfied with the outcome, but not happy. I don't have a good tale to tell.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi hifidez,

Thank you for posting back on the Forum and updating us about the progress of your complaint. I'm glad to hear that this has been sorted out for you, but I am sorry that this has caused undue stress and inconvenience to yourself.

Please get in touch with us if you have any further problems or questions. 

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
MrsP8
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Glad to hear you were finally able to get a satisfactory result.  Unfortunately I think I am about to embark on the same stressful experience you had.  I'm wondering if you could share the email address the final email was sent to?  I'm finding it really difficult to find an email address to contact and am a little suspicious of the email's he's received as the first one starts by saying it was good to chat when he's spoken to no one.

My husband and I have Broadband, TV and Phone with Virgin and I have a mobile with them but they have just rejected my husbands order on credit grounds.  I've signed up with Equifax just to check what could possibly be on my husbands records to cause his order to be rejected and found nothing but an excellent rating, (other than there being no record of a credit search by Virgin only an identity search!).

Unfortunately calling Virgin is proving difficult, My Virgin Mobile packed up and is on its way back to them to fix, our Virgin landline isn't working (engineer coming this week) and the whole reason we're trying to order my husband a phone through Virgin is because his Vodafone provided phone has also packed up (the day after mine) and is no longer in warranty/contract.

I really would like my husband to be able to come over to Virgin mobile too and really can't see why they would have rejected his order.  If you could help with an email address I'd really appreciate it.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
hifidez
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

ConsumerUnderwritingServices@virginmedia.co.uk Hope that helps :-)

Derek
0 Kudos