Menu
Siklopse
Tuning in
Message 1 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Refused a mobile contract for poor credit rating

Like others before, I've been refused a contract for failing the credit check. So, even though a mobile and media customer, and having had to spend two days phoning and emailing the credit scoring company, worrying about fraud and I'd theft, then finding out I have an excellent unblemished credit rating, so a perfect customer for credit, I am having to wait to see if virgin will allow me to spend even more money with them.  I'm wondering if they actually did a credit check, or just use it as an excuse.  Let's see what happens, but there are other companies who will want my custom

Spogs
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Re: Refused a mobile contract for poor credit rating

Like you, I failed a Virgin credit check for a phone despite being a customer for years. It seemed to be down to the number of times they'd tried to set up a direct debit but couldn't manage to complete it because of an IT problem. When I pushed for assurances that they weren't just damaging my credit rating, I was told it was just a 'Virgin credit check'. They don't seem to contact anyone else to do these so goodness knows what they actually do. I was also given different credit ratings by different advisers so no real consistency. Trying contacting them again and see if you get a different answer - or, better still, take your money elsewhere.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Spogs wrote:
Like you, I failed a Virgin credit check for a phone despite being a customer for years. It seemed to be down to the number of times they'd tried to set up a direct debit but couldn't manage to complete it because of an IT problem. When I pushed for assurances that they weren't just damaging my credit rating, I was told it was just a 'Virgin credit check'.

Or instead of making up why your credit rating is poor, why not contact a credit reference agency and find out?

Experian do a free trial, but be sure to cancel it directly with them on the phone and cancel the DD or youll be paying them forever and a day.

A poor rating is not the only reason for failing a check, you may have credit cards with NO BALANCE on them but a 3000 pound limit.This is taken off your total available credit and you may fail a check even though you owe nothing and have a perfect history. Mobile contracts are more stringent than most because of the possibility of fraud.

Have you tried other suppliers? Did you have the same problem with them? if not, why are you assuming its VM's fault?

Bottom line is VM use industry standard practices, we all know they dont even have their own network and are basically reselling another suppliers contracts. So if you fail a VM check you would fail the primary suppliers check as well.

So yeah its all VM's fault. You not controlling your credit file is VM's fault. You not contacting your credit card issuer and telling them to decrease your limit because its affecting other credit applications is VM's fault.

Grow up

0 Kudos
jheselden
Joining in
Message 4 of 50
Flag for a moderator

If you are already a mobile and media customer why are they performing a credit check?

0 Kudos
Siklopse
Tuning in
Message 5 of 50
Flag for a moderator

I've no idea. They told me I could have four mobiles with them .  Got my credit checked out which came back as excellent. The cynic in me is thinking that perhaps if I wanted a more expensive contract and phone I'd have passed their test.  I'm not that bothered about the phone really, wanted to stay loyal to a company that I have had excellent service with for over 20 years, it was the 48 hours that I spent worrying that my id had been stolen.  Off to the complaints dept I think

Siklopse
Tuning in
Message 6 of 50
Flag for a moderator

No probs with other suppliers, and after a few hours on the phone and emailing received my credit score and rating which came back as excellent, so yes it is VMs fault

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Hi Siklopse

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear you have been advised that we've been unable to offer further services to you after completing a credit check. When deciding whether to offer credit services to you, we will base the decision on a number of different factors including the information we receive about your credit file and your payment history with us.

As this matter deals with your specific account, it's not something we can help out with over the forums, but if you give the team a call on 789 / 0345 600 0789 we'll be happy to take a closer look into this for you.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Siklopse
Tuning in
Message 8 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Tried calling, but got no where until I went to the retention department.  They can't see anything why I shouldn't have a second contract.  Person in sales never bothered ringing back, excellent service there then, but still I can't have a second line.  Don't know why I'm so bothered, I'll just go somewhere else and virgin can do one.  I'll think twice about rushing to their defence or recommending them to anyone.  What a way to treat a loyal customer

Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Hi Siklopse,

I'm sorry that we couldn't get to the bottom of this.

This is incredibly odd and it's not something we like seeing.

If there's anything else we can help with, feel free to let us know.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
paperclip
Rising star
Message 10 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Siklopse wrote:

Like others before, I've been refused a contract for failing the credit check. So, even though a mobile and media customer, and having had to spend two days phoning and emailing the credit scoring company, worrying about fraud and I'd theft, then finding out I have an excellent unblemished credit rating, so a perfect customer for credit, I am having to wait to see if virgin will allow me to spend even more money with them.  I'm wondering if they actually did a credit check, or just use it as an excuse.  Let's see what happens, but there are other companies who will want my custom

It's a blessing in disguise to be honest as you really don't want to have anything to do with Virgin Mobile, their mobile service and customer care is poor.

If I were you I would try a different mobile provider and especially one that doesn't tell porkies and that has a decent 3G coverage indoors and out!

0 Kudos