Menu
Paul1200
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Proof of Blocking

Hello. Can anyone help please.My Mobile has been stolen, and my insurance company want proof of purchase. Problem is the mobile was a gift from a good friend and unfortunately has now lost the receipt. I use a Virgin Sim in this phone.

My insurance company has stated that they will accept Proof of use / Proof of Barring or a letter from Virgin that they cannot supply any of the information that is required.

Customer service states that they cannot send any proof of my phone being blocked following it being stolen,

because it has no e-mail facility's. 

Please can anyone help.

Paul

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Proof of Blocking

My understanding is that your insurance company need a document showing that the phone (identified by its IMEI) has been in use.

This is to stop people buying a knackered handset on ebay, insuring it, waiting a few weeks, then claiming on the insurance.

Virgin don't know the IMEI of your handset as they didn't supply it.

Even if the IMEI is passed around digitally as part of the call initiation procedure, Virgin won't know that as they just bill you for the calls - it's EE that own the masts and the capacity.

Virgin should be able to provide a letter telling your insurance company that the IMEI isn't available to them. Don't be surprised to find that in a short time, customers of MVNOs like Virgin and Tesco will be unable to get third-party insurance because the scam I described above will be able to be used with such a letter.

Paul1200
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Gorf. 

The problem is who do I get the letter from, as customer service said that they cannot supply this letter as they had no access to e-mail.

I just seem to be going round in circles between my insurance company and customer services.

Does anyone know who I've to contact in respect of obtaining this letter.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul,

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear your phone has been stolen. This is never a pleasant experience.

I'd like to help you with this. I'll now send you a private message to discuss further. To view this click on the red envelope on the top left.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
beensheen
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rich_B , I have the same problem. My phone was stolen and i filled the sim and phone blocking form online early in morning becoz call center was shut at that time. When i informed insurance company they are asking for proof of barring. I contacted with CS, they said we can't give you confirmation as you didn't buy phone from us and try to contact the apple store where you bought the phone. Could you please help me in this regard? Thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beensheen,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear you lost your phone. You did very well in acting so quick to get this blocked!

I'm afraid my colleague is correct in saying that we're unable to provide prrof of usage for the handset. We can only provide a bill for the number you used. Sorry about that.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beensheen,

How are you getting on with this?

Let me know if you have any other queries.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
TMD
Settling in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Rich.... are you able to help me out as well please?

Stolen 'Sim only' phone and I need 'proof of use' or 'proof of barring' from Virgin. I've been going around in circles for a month.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi TMD,

Thanks for you post on the Forum, I'm sorry to hear that your mobile has been stolen. Apologies as well for the delay in getting back to you.

I can request this information for you, but I'm not able to access your details. I'll send you a private message requesting further details. Just check the envelope icon at the top right of this page.

Alternatively, please give us a call on 789 (Freephone from a Virgin Mobile) or 0345 6000 789 (from any other phone) or 150 (free from a Virgin Media landline). You can also get in touch with us via WebChat: Contact Us, so that we can arrange to send you the required information you need. 

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
miss_k
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I have had this same issue I have been with virgin on a sim only contract for a year and a half. I had the same issue when my last handset was stolen last year and they told me in order for them to be able to block my imei for insurance purposes I had to add it to my account and it would take at least 14 days before it can be blocked. So best assured when I bought my new phone I made sure to do so.

Unfortunately my phone was stolen a month and a half ago. I called virgin immediately and asked for the SIM card and phone imei to be blocked. And to have a new SIM card issued. All was well but this was not the case. I waited a few days as I was told my sim was to be sent by Yodel 24 hour courier (which it hadn't). When I called 4 days later I was told it had not been sent at all and the reason for this was because I had an overdue balance. When I asked why I hadn't been told this in the initial phone call and why the customer representative I had spoken to had lied to me and told me that they had issued the new sim, all I got was an apology (this person was a bit more helpful but not really because this "2nd sim" never arrived!). In this same conversation I asked for the proof of replacement sim and proof of imei blocking and I was told the sim would arrive by Yodel 24 hour again and the proof of blocking would arrive within 10 working days.

So in my head I believed that my sim was going to arrive and I went about my day. I then called AGAIN after the sim never arrived and to jus find out that the proof of imei blocking had been sent to my. (Can we also bare in mind I don't have a phone at this time, and I'm having to borrow my partners phone and all these 0345 calls are going to his bill). I've called 5 times now asking for this proof and I keep getting told that the request is being sent then I'll call 5 days later each time asking where the letter is and I keep getting told that the request has been declined.

At this point I don't even know if I will get this proof of imei blocking and at this rate I will just have to fork out another £719 for an iPhone 7 Plus.

Can someone help me please I need to get my insurance claim finalised and I've been waiting a month and a half.
0 Kudos