Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10 (89 Views)

Premium text received

I have been a customer of Virgin for 20 years. I have a full TV, broadband package and 5 mobile phones in our family. I always pay bills on time and hardly ever check them. Recently I noticed my daughters mobile bill was regularly exceeding £100 a month above contract so studied the bills and noticed Premium message received totalling £60 per month dating back a year (£720 charged and paid from my bank). This scam probaly goes back a lot longer but Virgin accounts only let me access 12 months. My daughter is 15 years of age and she states she has never voted on a talent show, entered a competition, nor texted a donation.  I am the bill payer and if someone is adding a regular charge to my bill I would expect them to have the decency to write and explain why I am being charged. I have phone virgin and despite my long history as a customer are not willing to refund one penny. I have cancelled all my direct debits with virgin, including all insurance and phone credit agreements. I will let them take me to court where I can explain my case to a judge, who I hope will be more understanding than VIRGIN

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 2 of 10 (83 Views)

Re: Premium text received

It's hardly Virgins fault that you received these texts (they are legally obliged to send them to your phone) they can be triggered by an app installed on the phone , you can google the number to find out who's sending the texts and you can report it here

https://ico.org.uk/concerns/nuisance-calls-and-messages/spam-texts-and-nuisance-calls/

I doubt Virgin will take you to court they simply sell the debt to a collection agency and give you a bad credit rating

Tuning in
Message 3 of 10 (73 Views)

I signed a fixed fee contact for a mobile phone service and allowed virgin to debit my bank account for that amount. If they are going to charge meand debit my bank account for third party bills they should notify me in writing exactly why I am being charged, otherwise I consider it theft! 

0 Kudos
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 10 (71 Views)

[ Edited ]

i suggest you take the time to actually read what you signed.

meantime, stay off the sex lines Smiley Happy and put some parental controls onto your child's devices

e.g.http://ourpact.com/ , http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/132686-five-parental-control-apps-for-android-devices

and see this https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Blog/Internet-Safety-and-Parental-Controls/ba-p/2696285

Owning a phone opens your child up to a tempting world of paid-for content, from premium rate phone numbers to ringtone downloads to online gambling sites. And with much of it paid for direct from the phone bill (either added to pay monthly or deducted from PAYG), it can seem to a child like it’s free.

Talk to your kids about paid-for services and content and make sure they understand that it’s not free, whether it’s in the form of calls, text or picture messages or internet services. Many of these services are subscription based, which means you can opt out of them at any time, usually by texting STOP to the relevant service.

For call and text based services, the major mobile operators offer barring services that block your child’s mobile from calling and texting premium rate numbers. For more information or to make a complaint about a premium rate service, check out PhonePayPlus.

as the previous poster said it is not virgins fault that you were 

a) dumb enough to allow sign up for the premium texts

b) rich/ daft enough to not notice until £700+ had been paid away

0 Kudos
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 10 (55 Views)

[ Edited ]

dannylau wrote:

I doubt Virgin will take you to court they simply sell the debt to a collection agency and give you a bad credit rating

then the debt collection agancy will take you to court....

you have no case whatsoever. someone voluntarily signed up for premum services, those services have been delivered, payment has been collected... ( incidentially, I doubt that Virgin get any of the £60 per month themselves ...). your redress is with the prmium service providers and their regulator as per previous links. 

http://psauthority.org.uk/   The UK regulator for content, goods and services charged to a phone bill

Frequently Asked Questions
I did not request this service, how do I get a refund?
Contact the service provider and ask for information on what the service is about, proof of purchase and potentially a refund. Please note that if the purchase was legitimate, the provider may not be obligated to provide a refund. If you have a legitimate cause for complaint, contact the service provider and explain your circumstances.

breaking your Virgin contract as a "protest" will lead you into more late/missed costs, more unpleasantness.....

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10 (30 Views)

I have contacted PrizePin.co.uk who are not willing to refund any money. They state confirmation of the subscription was sent to my email address but have been unable to send me a copy. I have not deleted any emails for over 10 years and I have never, ever, received an email from PrizePin. My 15 year old daughter states she never signed up to this service but remembers receiving regular daily texts headed "FREE TEXT". She stated she just deleted them and eventually barred the number. However, as soon as she barred one number she started receiving the same text from a different number. I have complained to Virgin Media but they are not willing to refund so I have made a claim under the direct debit scheme asking for a refund of £2,500.

0 Kudos
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 10 (26 Views)

[ Edited ]

set a good attack solicitor onto prizepin and meanwhile write to the personal money advice folks in the main newspapers. Tony Hetherington in, I think, the Daily Mail is a good one to go for. you'll be amazed how some media pressure and adverse publicity can lead to a cheque.

you should really involve the regulator also,

and check out a handy free complaints web site called resolver.

https://www.resolver.co.uk/

the alleged email, by the way , was probably sent to junk / spam, that's where most spam filters would put it 

Tuning in
Message 8 of 10 (19 Views)

Thank you. I have logged a complaint with the regulator and resolver. Virgin Media state they are aware of the situation and are working on a remedy. They will refund up to £20 but do not want to refund any larger amount? The fact that VM acknowledge a problem is half way to getting a resolution. I allowed VM to use a direct debit to pay my contract not allow third party rip off companys to have direct access to my bank account. I have checked my spam and no email from Prizepin.co.uk, ever.

0 Kudos
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 10 (13 Views)

[ Edited ]

I Looked at the Prizepin.co.uk site, from a non SIM enabled tablet. The terms and conditions, if true, are that you have to deliberately respond, correctly quoting a three digit pin ,to sign  up for the weekly competition. At 4.50 per text, so it would need multiple entries to get to 60 pm

I was not shown a pin to enter with, maybe because I am on a WiFi only tablet.

They also claim you can quit anytime with a stop text.

Not defending them, just saying...

Googling prizepin scam did not find anything particularly scary either

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10 (7 Views)

I have read the terms and conditions on the website. However, my daughter states she has never entered a pin number, or chosen which prize she preferred. What worries me is she is 15 years of age and if a company is offering a service which should only be entering into by persons over 16 years then surely they should ask for proof of age from every contestant?  Why do they not have their own billing procedure and why do VM allow a third party company access to my bank account. I have asked for a full refund from prizepin but they no longer answer my emails.

0 Kudos