Menu
Frankieflute
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Porting

Bought my first smart phone on Friday.  I wanted to know I could keep the number from my ancient sim card, was told not a problem, did the PAC code etc and got a cheery text this morning from Virgin to say 'we're all done porting your number to your new mobile so you're free to get stuck in. Welcome aboard'.  Apart from the questionable mixed metaphor, and strange hybrid of US and English slang,  this has proved to be untrue as my number has not been ported. Not a good start.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
J0hn
Super solver
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Porting

Happy to be wrong Smiley Happy
Virgin have issues on and off with porting, amongst other issues
0 Kudos

All Replies
K3v1n
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You're not alone. It seems Virgin aren't very good at porting numbers. http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Number-Transfer-Problem/td-p/3245565

I've been told to wait 24 hours, but judging by posts on this community, it could be days.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

See the other recent posts I've replaced to on this subject
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Frankieflute,

Welcome to the Community Forum and thanks for your post. I'm sorry that there's been a delay in your mobile number transferring over to your Virgin Mobile. 

Checking this, I can see that your number port is now completed. Is this working for you now?

If you are still experiencing a problem, please let me know so that I can look into this. I'll need to verify further details with you, so I'll send you a private message. Just check the envelope icon at the top right of this page.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Frankieflute
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I just checked and had a welcome message from Huw.  What has happened is that the number was ported, later than announced, but did not change on my phone. Although I followed the instructions for Voicemail this did not set up.  I called 789 and they have sent a new SIM card which should sort the number issue and they set up voicemail.  So that is a helpful response, but there  does seem to be an issue with incomplete porting, and also with misinformation regarding timings.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I would be amazed if a new sim resolved this, I expect it was just a ploy to keep you happy and end the call, however I'll be very happy to be proven wrong.
Keep us all updated Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Frankieflute
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well actually I think it has done - I have to say I was dubious, and when I put in the new SIM card the phone instantly went off service .  I then phoned the the number provided with the SIM - 0345 6000 789 - and now I have the right number and the voicemail is working (with the message I left on it last week).  So it has been sorted, but it has taken a bit of Virgin's time as well as mine.  It seems to me that the people who answer the phone do know what they are doing, but something is going wrong with the procedure for porting numbers.  It would be in everybody's interest to sort this out. 

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Happy to be wrong Smiley Happy
Virgin have issues on and off with porting, amongst other issues
0 Kudos