Menu
grahamm77
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Picture messaging triggers?

I have just signed up with Virgin Mobile (am existing Virgin Media Cable customer).  They have supplied a Samsung phone.  I thought I was on a Fixed £10 per month tarrif.  But I find in the first few days I have received an additonal charge for Picture Messaging!  This was never explained when I signed up for this tarriff.  I have only used a dumb phone before and all my texting is simple text.  What I am trying to get out of Virgin is what exactly will trigger Picure Messaging charges.  (Asked them on-line and in a Virgin Shop!).  Ok so if my text exceeds 160 characters my Samsung Core Prime smart phone may send it as picture message (fair enough - I will keep my text messages short).  Using smileys what ever they are called may trigger it - can someone confirm this?? I don't use smileys!!  What about if I attach a photograph to a text message or send a photograph ( I guess this will use picture messaging).  All I wanted out of Virgin was FAQ on web site or web page setting this out for me a user.   If I knew all the things that will trigger this Picture Messaging I can avoid it as far a possible and so stick within the limits of my unlimited fixed text tarriff part etc...  Seems a pity Virgin can't give this to me a new user of their mobile service!  So any definite help on PIcture Messaging - thanks

Helpful Answers
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Picture messaging triggers?

To add to andyju's answer

There is no definite answer to give you, each handset/makers handle text to MMS conversion differently, stick to plain short text and your be fine.

Just adding a basic smilie will use a lot of your 160 character limit.

Some phones will also send a long text as a MMS instead of sending it as two text's.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.

All Replies
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Smilies can be treated as a multimedia message (and thus be charged accordingly), but adding a picture to a text most definatly will !

Messages exceeding 160 characters will simply be treated as two texts (or 480 characters and 3 texts) etc

In short, just text a message. Dont include any images or smilies and you should be ok

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

To add to andyju's answer

There is no definite answer to give you, each handset/makers handle text to MMS conversion differently, stick to plain short text and your be fine.

Just adding a basic smilie will use a lot of your 160 character limit.

Some phones will also send a long text as a MMS instead of sending it as two text's.
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just as an afterthought .... I use "whatsapp" a lot which will allow you to send picture messages, smilies etc for free.

In my experience, it uses a very small data footprint, but the downside is that recipients of your messages must also have it.

Just a thought ...

0 Kudos
grahamm77
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I haven't used smileys never do and I have only just started with Virgin Mobile. But I did add a Subject line and maybe the phone treets this as MMS? and sends as Picture Messaging? I had hoped that Virgin Mobile who suppied the Galaxy Smart phone could provide a definitive answer. But thanks for your reply. Helpful
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Did not know you could add a subject line untill I read your post.

Have just looked and you can, but as soon as I pressed the option it warned me the text will be converted to a MMS, I think you've found why yours we're converted :-)

0 Kudos
annaanna
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What I find annoying is that we have to sort our own problems out, I have spent half hour searching as the 'chat' is not working. I have had to re sign up for media as can not ask questions  being just on the mobile site . yet cant get media as no cable in my area. Picture charges being made when I have enough data is some what annoying as there is no picture in the texts that were sent. If a longer text means virgin then charge you maybe they should be clearer. they are not clearer a I could not even find the phone that I bought  a few weeks ago on there phone fix. Virgin be more customer friendly and clearer as to why you add charges on!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi annaanna,

there are a number of instances where SMS (text messages) may be converted to MMS (picture messages).

Click on this link: How to stop text messages being sent as MMS (actually an O2 support page) you might find it helpful.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos