Menu
cheyne139
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Non support Apps on Windows phones

A year a go went for a Windows phone, as I use a Windows tablet and Windows at work.
What a silly person I am, now that most big businesses are not writing Apps for Windows
phones.

Can anybody suggest a way round having to pay off the rest of my contract, which would cost me over a £100's. So that I can change my phone to an Android phone. The helpful people on the Virgin non helpful helpdesk could not!!

When are Virgin going to stop supplying mobiles that are not going to be support for Apps.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Non support Apps on Windows phones

Hi cheyne139,

Thanks for taking the time to post.

I'm afraid there's no way around the contract apart from paying it off in full. If you're on a freestyle contract then only the cost of the handset needs to be paid off.

The only other thing I can suggest is purchasing a cheap Android phone to tie you over until the contract expires and putting the SIM card in that. That's just a friendly suggestion though.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

In other words Rich, you have sold a phone to a customer, he can't use it for one of the items that you are supposed to provide him with, (because VM can't be bothered to supply the app) then tell him 'tough, not really interested' 

Maybe VM should stop selling incompatible hardware then. (And that should include selling phones capable of 4G, that VM 'cripple' by removing the phones ability to use it, because they don't supply it!!)

Don't sell Windows phones, or tell the customer that they will not be able to use any of the features VM supply... Simple, rather than just 'abandoning' the customer after you have taken his money!!

(mind you, VM apps don't even support the majority of Android phones anyway. Many are 'unsupported' by VM because they are too lazy to update when Android 'moves on' as VM refuse to spend money!!))

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

cheyne139 wrote:

A year a go went for a Windows phone, as I use a Windows tablet and Windows at work.
What a silly person I am, now that most big businesses are not writing Apps for Windows
phones.

That's the nature of  market forces I'm afraid.  Businesses will write software for platforms which are market strong and from which they can make a profit. Windows Mobile has never really been a strong and potentially profitable market and as such has been ignored.

I would suggest that MS Windows, in all of its incarnations, has never really appealed to the Apps market. Windows 8, 8.1 and now 10 does not have the breadth and scope of Apps which are available to users of the Android or OS X platforms, and  probably never will.

Can anybody suggest a way round having to pay off the rest of my contract, which would cost me over a £100's. So that I can change my phone to an Android phone. The helpful people on the Virgin non helpful helpdesk could not!!

How long is your contract with VM?

If it's an 18 month contract then you may well be in line for an "upgrade" to your phone in the next few months. If an upgrade is offered, "upgrade" to an Android or OS X  based  handset. If it's a 24 month contract then bite the bullet, use what you have until you are offered an upgrade and then change.

Bear in mind that accepting an upgrade will probably lock you into another "minimum contract term" so be prepared for that. 

When are Virgin going to stop supplying mobiles that are not going to be support for Apps.

Sorry. You had the choice of handsets and OS's when you took out your contract. VM did not put a gun to your head and force you to select a Windows phone. That was your choice and you have to live with it.

No provider of mobile services is responsible for providing support for any Apps, that's the responsibility of the App provider. To try to blame VM  for your choice in choosing a Windows phone and the subsequent lack of Apps support is merely a deflection from your own (now realised) bad decision to select a Windows powered phone.

If you are unable to make/receive telephone calls or texts (SMS or MMS), unable to send/receive emails, unable to access the internet on a handset provided by VM and those services were offered as part of your contract then you do have something to complain about.

If it's just that you don't have access to some Apps then you don't.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
golf20vT
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I've had the same problem, when I got my phone I was told that apps would follow along with a windows 10 upgrade.

12 months on and a year to go and Nothing, I've been had, Virgin pulled a fast one!

when I spent two hours today i'm no further forward and just get pushed backwards and forwards with customer services (NOT what i'd call them) and sales?

waste of my afternoon off

they did offer me the chance to pay off my my Lumia 640 at £380, 

Not impressed!

never by a windows phone again, especially from Virgin!  

0 Kudos