Menu
TONK48
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

New Wi Fi App

Is this new wi fi app actually available yet for android, is it different from Wi Fi Buddy ?

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New Wi Fi App

TONK48 wrote:

Is this new wi fi app actually available yet for android, is it different from Wi Fi Buddy ?

Hi TONK48,

new WiFi app?

The Virgin Mobile "My Account" Manage app hasn't been updated for years and is a separate app to the "WiFi Buddy" app.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

teabag
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The new Wi-Fi App is not out for Android yet, but it is for Apple devices.

The main difference between the new Wi-Fi App and Wi-Fi Buddy, is that Wi-Fi Buddy is for Virgin mobile customers and only works with a mobile with a Virgin sim inserted, the new Wi-Fi App is for Virgin Broadband/mobile customers and will work with other operator sims inserted or even a tablet with no sim.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

TONK48 wrote:

Hi TONK48,

new WiFi app?

The Virgin Mobile "My Account" Manage app hasn't been updated for years and is a separate app to the "WiFi Buddy" app.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

teabag
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The new Wi-Fi App is not out for Android yet, but it is for Apple devices.

The main difference between the new Wi-Fi App and Wi-Fi Buddy, is that Wi-Fi Buddy is for Virgin mobile customers and only works with a mobile with a Virgin sim inserted, the new Wi-Fi App is for Virgin Broadband/mobile customers and will work with other operator sims inserted or even a tablet with no sim.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
zvonok
Superfast
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I make the prediction that 'once again' it will NOT be workable with a Windows phone!!! ..Why not?? ... ZVNK ...

0 Kudos
TONK48
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your info any idea when the android version will be available ?

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Sadly windows phone is not and never has been a main stream operating system (os ),as it costs cash to develop for each and every os and update the chances of Virgin throwing cash onto windows phones are non existent. When you consider that main stream operating systems like Android are still six months after the new version Marshmellow waiting for updates from Virgin you'll start to understand
0 Kudos
zvonok
Superfast
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I understand that .being IT aware ... BUT I think that when people (not me! - but relatives) are encouraged in the VM shop to buy a Windows phone from VM they should advise that TV anywhere is not applicable and there are no apps by VM ... ... ZVNK ...

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

There great phones for basic users, but I agree with your comments about the store, but they are only sales staff on a sales bonus and may not fully understand the limitations of windows OS.
0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Android app is discussed here:

http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/broadband/virginmediawifi/what-is-virgin-media-wifi.html

For those who want to get there quick:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.virginmedia.simplewifi&hl=en_GB

According to one commentator it doesn't work on jelly bean 4.2.2 Smiley Sad

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Wi Fi App *Problems with Android version*

Here's some feedback:

I downloaded the app from Google Play a couple of hours ago, and in replying to a post yesterday (which I can't find any more). There are problems with it. It installed OK, but I can't get details into it whether connected to data roaming (3G Orange) or VM BB via wi-fi. The problem being the app switches wi-fi off, so it is no longer connected to the internet.  As I'm not a Virgin Mobile customer,  it does not like "alien" data roaming as mentioned above. I can't get setup to work, nor can I use the VM BB login details.  I then get the "installation failed" error.

On the buses round here there is a wi-fi service which works pretty well. You just switch your 'phone on, along with the wi-fi, the network is detected, you are then asked to save the connectoid data. Since I am fairly economical in nature I'd much rather use the VM netwrok than get on the bus. Wi-fi is now incredibly slow and it has taken almost an hour to download updates  even though the router is 2 feet away.  Smiley Sad

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos