Menu
Birdie123
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

New SIM by 16 December

I've had the letter offering me a new free SIM but must be ordered by 16 Dec. I wasn't sure about this so rang Virgin. Spoke to JR - he said if I chose not to have the new SIM I wouldn't be able to change tariffs in the future, but also said if I did have it, I would get better reception everywhere. What happens to all the data, photos etc on my old SIM when I put the new one in? Do I lose anything? When I asked him this, he just said he would go through it with me,when I got the new SIM but didn't say if I would lose anything. I felt a bit pressured into having this new SIM. Anyone else feel this ? Is this for my benefit or Virgin ?

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New SIM by 16 December

Hi Birdie123,

no doubt the new SIM is to do with the new 4G service.

Photo's e.t.c are stored on the device itself, it's memory card or cloud service.

The only information which may be stored on the SIM (depending on your settings) will be contacts and possibly some text messages but even this is not advisable with modern devices.

You can check "SIM content" on your device and "copy" or "save to phone" before inserting a new SIM.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Birdie123,

no doubt the new SIM is to do with the new 4G service.

Photo's e.t.c are stored on the device itself, it's memory card or cloud service.

The only information which may be stored on the SIM (depending on your settings) will be contacts and possibly some text messages but even this is not advisable with modern devices.

You can check "SIM content" on your device and "copy" or "save to phone" before inserting a new SIM.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
Birdie123
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Are Virgin telling me I have to have this new SIM ?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Birdie123

Welcome to the community, you don't have to change your SIM but should you wish to take advantage of any of our great 4G deals in the near future then this will help you get setup and ready beforehand.

Any questions please let me know.

Dave

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Birdie123
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Dave - That's all I wanted to know.  Regards -

birdie123

0 Kudos
macfodum
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave

I also received this letter, but was proactive in getting a new 4G SIM beforehand and Virgin Wind up the Customer Services would not entertain the promotion as I had already got a 4G SIM.

It is only £2/mth, but the principle and moral conception therein is very annoying.

Virgin Customer Services are one of the worst I have encountered and am seriously thinking of leaving because of it.

Rant over!!

BW

Mark

0 Kudos
Birdie123
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Oh sorry to hear that Mark - you're entitled to a rant if you want ! I have been with Virgin for more years than I can remember and have always found them available and helpful. I am not bothered about 4G - I have heard there's been occasions when people haven't been able to access it. And what's this £2 about, what do you pay that for ?

Birdie123

0 Kudos