Menu
donhay
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

New 4G sim and now no mobile data

I have a sim only deal in an iPhone 5S. 

I have just received my new 4G sim. I went into my account online and activated it which happened within ten minutes.

I can now make and receive calls but when ever I try either internet or emails I get the message "Could not activate mobile data network. You are not subscribed to a mobile data service"

I am showing a signal strength with Virgin 3G next to it.

My refresh date is 26th November which is when I expect 4G (or LTE) to kick in. Surely I don't have to wait until then to get my mobile data again?

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New 4G sim and now no mobile data

No, you should still have data.

You'll need to call Virgin Media on 789 from your handset (or 0345 6000 789 from any other line) and they should be able to fix it.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No, you should still have data.

You'll need to call Virgin Media on 789 from your handset (or 0345 6000 789 from any other line) and they should be able to fix it.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
ajcoombes
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I have a similar problem: I upgraded to the new 4G plan online a couple of days after my current 30 day VIP SIM only plan refreshed. I received the new 4G SIM, activated it online and put it in my Pixel XL. After a few minutes, the SIM activated and I could make and receive voice calls and SMS messages, but no data (either 3G or 4G). My plan will change to 4G on 5th December, but I should be getting 3G until then (confirmed by tech support). It has now been a week without data, and I've just got off the phone with tech support after an hour on the line, with no solution.

donhay
Tuning in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ben

Called 789 and all sorted now.

0 Kudos
paperclip
Rising star
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

donhay wrote:

Thanks Ben

I know you have said that it is all sorted, but I am curious what caused the problem and what they actually did to fix it for you.

0 Kudos
donhay
Tuning in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

paperclip wrote:

donhay wrote:

Thanks Ben

I know you have said that it is all sorted, but I am curious what caused the problem and what they actually did to fix it for you.

I don't really now how they fixed it.

I called 789 from my mobile. Explained what had happened.

I was asked if there was a landline they could call me on. Once they called on the landline I was asked to switch my mobile off.

They then did something on their end and I was asked to switch my mobile on again. It then worked. Go figure. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
roadrunner46
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I got my new one this morning. I spoke to VM as after inserting the new sim I was also unable to get it to work. He talked me through a set of steps to make sure my pohone (S7 Edge) was set up but then found he could not sort it out from his end because of a possible fault with EE. He told me I would still get calls etc. However, I cannot get any reception or even connect to VM on my phone with the message.No Service on screen and when i go into mobile networks/network operators/search networks and click on Virgin (as apposed to virgin) A message flashes up to wuickly to read and then I get Unable to Connect - try later. Up until I put the new sim in at around 11:00 am my phone worked perfectly on 3G, now it is almost useless. 

Well done Virgin, wait 2 years plus for 4G then when it arrives its a disaster........

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Drop the old sim in, that will tell you if the new one has been provisioned
0 Kudos
paperclip
Rising star
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

May I ask which courier Virgin used to deliver the sim? was it Yodel or Royal Mail?

0 Kudos
BBPrivDtek4G16
Tuning in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Most likely it will be with an Courer like Yodel etc, unless they actually stated it's with the post service!
Chris BlackDroid User!
0 Kudos