Menu
ElaineM
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My mobile bill says that I was using the internet when I was asleep! What have I done wrong?

I'm new to android phones.  I thought I followed the set up instructions but was shocked to see that I'd used 100mb of my 250mb per month overnight when I was asleep!  I've only had the phone one day.  Can anyone tell me what I've done or how to stop it.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: My mobile bill says that I was using the internet when I was asleep! What have I done wrong?

ElaineM wrote:

I'm new to android phones.  I thought I followed the set up instructions but was shocked to see that I'd used 100mb of my 250mb per month overnight when I was asleep!  I've only had the phone one day.  Can anyone tell me what I've done or how to stop it.

Many thanks

You'll probably have apps updating their self, etc, in the background. This snippet from a webpage advises you on how to check and restrict that: "First check out which app is using the most mobile data. If your phone is running Android 4.0 and above, you can go to “Settings -> Data usage” to view which app is using the most mobile data.

Once you have identified the app, tap on it and scroll all the way down to the bottom. Check the box “Restrict background data”. This will prevent the app from accessing your mobile data (it will still work in WiFi)."

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: My mobile bill says that I was using the internet when I was asleep. What have I done wrong?

Hi ElaineM

It sounds like you need to set some settings to reduce data updates ect and use only WiFi instead.

If you let us know what phone you have, someone here will be able too help you with the settings.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
ElaineM
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: My mobile bill says that I was using the internet when I was asleep. What have I done wrong?

Thanks so much.

It's a LG Spirit.  Is that enough info?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

ElaineM wrote:

Thanks so much.

It's a LG Spirit.  Is that enough info?

According to a user manual for the phone You still need to go into 'Settings -> Data usage' as I mentioned above. Not surprising as implementations Android are the same for the most part across all phones using it.

Once in there, press the Data Usage Applications option. You should see a list of your apps and the data usage. Press the offending app which is using the data and you should see settings which allow you to limit or disable its data usage.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
whenthecatsaway
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just to add to this, you mentioned it all showed in the night, ignore this, it just collates on your bill in the early house but will be for the day before.