Menu
hbe38
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Mobile repair

Very disappointed with virgin. I have been a customer of there's for 10+ years having home phone ,broadband, TV and 4 mobile contracts and there customer services is a sham. I got a Sony Experia m4 of them less than 12 months ago and it recently started turning on and off on its own and heating up. Rang virgin who sent a repair pack out. A few days later I have received a call to say my phone is not covered under warranty as where the SD card goes there should be an IMEI number on a label which isn't there. I have no idea if it had one or it had been taken out to insert SD card by my wife when we set up the phone but nowhere on the set up instructions did it say remove or don't remove a label. My wife has the exact same phone and hers doesn't have a label there. That was the first reason they wont repair for free, and also they say there is physical damage the phone has been dropped. What a lie. This phone has never been out of a case or dropped in its life. The only time it was taken out of its case was to send off to virgin. They want £78 to repair it but I refused so they have sent the phone back. I rang up again today to clarify everything and they said the warranty is void and it will not be repaired for free. The only marks I can barely see on the phone are on the top corner but that is only where it has been clipped in then out of the case to send off to virgin. To double check this I unclipped my wife's phone from her case and it had the exact same marks from where it was clipped in. In two minds whether to cancel everything from virgin now when my phone contract expires. A very unhappy mobile phoneless customer.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile repair

You are not alone. Similar post crop up from time to time (one today in fact).

See if there is a Sony repair station near you. It's not hard to find the IMEI of a phone, but probably beyond the capabilities of Virgin's repairers.

hbe38
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have the IMEI as I still have the original box. They no its the right phone, its because the label is missing they are saying the warranty is void.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi hbe38

I'm really sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing with your service lately, if the case is still open and you'd like me to take a look for an update I'll certainly do so.

If you want me to do that, just respond to the private message I've sent with the requested information and I'll do so right away.

Apologies again for the inconvenience caused.

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Kevin13
Settling in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I got my son a Samsung A3 on a 2 year contract in February this year, and 2 weeks ago the phone stopped charging. I called Virgin and was told the phone was still under warranty and they would repair the phone under the warranty.

I sent the phone to them and today got a call telling me that Virgin would charge £96 to repair the phone. When asked why they could not repair it under the warranty, as advised on my phone call, the lady told me I could send it to Samsung to see if they would repair it or pay the charge.

Absolutely disgusted with this complete lack of customer service. 

Last time I had an issue with Virgin I had to start following Richard Branson on twitter and send him a tweet to get any action. 

So can anyone else advise why a phone covered by a warranty cannot be repaired under that warranty? 

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sad to say but without looking at the phone I can only go on experience.
The main reason the phone stops charging is that the charge socket on the phone main board has come loose. Normally through rough handling not checking the correct orientation of the plug before inserting.

This is not a failure of the phone to preset but is physical damage and as such is not covered by the guarantee.

Now I understand that sounds like I work for Virgin, I don't, but I did work for their tech support team backs I the days Virgin won all the customer service awards, and have worked for other companies supporting the technical side, it's normal practice sadly, it's like reversing your new car into the gate and trying to get it repaired for free.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kevin13,

Thank you for your post, 

I have replied to you in another thread you have created, in the nature of keeping everything in one place can you reply to me here?

Many thanks.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
mousetrap
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Finding this post has proved very interesting. My 83 year old Mother has had exactly the same problem with her Sony Xperia which she has on a 24 month contract purchased 6 months ago. It's overheated, switched off and been sent back to Virgin for repair. Interestingly they also said they would not repair it as the IMEI number has been removed, but would at a cost of £78, they also say they have returned it, but it's not turned up yet. She does rely on this phone especially if there were an emergency. At 83 I am sure she does not know what an IMEI number is let alone how to remove it, she can't get the back of a phone off!. Virgin have let her down badly, now it seems to me they have a weak excuse not to repair these phones. A response from Virgin on this would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
smeilly
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Funny virgin have just refused to fix my Sony xperia under the warranty for the same reason. Sounds like they've been sending duff phones out but won't own up to it. 

0 Kudos
DigitalStefan
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

How many people experiencing the exact same issue does it take before someone higher-up the chain of command says "hmmm, perhaps they have a point. We might have the wrong information about these phones"?

Corporate facepalm to the extreme.

0 Kudos