Menu
mousetrap
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Mobile repair Sony Xperia

Having trouble posting so here goes again. It seems this is a familiar story now with repairs to Virgin phones!. My 83 year old Mother had a problem with her Sony Xperia which she has on a 24 month contract and purchased only 6 months ago. It has overheated, and switched itself off. It was sent back to Virgin for repair. Interestingly as has happened to others they said they would not repair it as the IMEI number has been removed and so is out of warranty, it would at a cost her £78 if she wanted them to. They also say they have returned it, but it's not turned up yet. She does rely on this phone especially if there were an emergency. At 83 I am sure she does not know what an IMEI number is let alone how to remove it, she can't even get the back of a phone off!. Virgin have let her down badly, no phone and a year and a half left on her contract. It seems to me this is an excuse not to repair these phones. I am a bit suspicious this has happened to others. A response from Virgin on this would be appreciated.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
mousetrap
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Mobile repair Sony Xperia

I find this very strange, you are correct that the IMEI number is located with the SIM, in fact with the Xperia it is on the back of the tray the SIM goes into, the one which you have to remove from the phone every time you put a SIM in or out. Now as I have mentioned she is 83, when Virgin sent her the pack to return the phone, the clear instruction was to remove the SIM, It is unfortunate you didn't put on the instruction to replace the SIM holder as this has the IMEI number printed on the back. So I don't really get that the warranty is void if this label is removed as it is attached to something that you do indeed remove from the phone. I assume Sony came up with that so not to repair their phones. Apart from that it heats up to a point where it gets to hot to hold. But thank for your reply.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Hi mousetrap, 

I am so sorry to hear about the very frustrating situation that you mum has experienced with her Sony Xperia handset. The IMEI label the repair centre are referring to is a little piece of card that is attached to the phone that carries the handset identifying number, the card itself is located normally around the area where the sim card goes into, the unfortunate side to this is under Sony’s warranty guide lines if this card is removed the warranty is automatically voided. 

The repair centre that we use is run by the manufactures of the handsets and are 3rd party repairers to ourselves, when they make a decision like that we here at virgin can’t over turn it simply because it’s set by Sony themselves. 

You can go direct to Sony and speak to them to them about their warranties or check out this guide to all the warranty information from Sony. All you have to do is select the handset model and follow the prompts for warranty information.

Take care

Kelly 

0 Kudos
mousetrap
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I find this very strange, you are correct that the IMEI number is located with the SIM, in fact with the Xperia it is on the back of the tray the SIM goes into, the one which you have to remove from the phone every time you put a SIM in or out. Now as I have mentioned she is 83, when Virgin sent her the pack to return the phone, the clear instruction was to remove the SIM, It is unfortunate you didn't put on the instruction to replace the SIM holder as this has the IMEI number printed on the back. So I don't really get that the warranty is void if this label is removed as it is attached to something that you do indeed remove from the phone. I assume Sony came up with that so not to repair their phones. Apart from that it heats up to a point where it gets to hot to hold. But thank for your reply.

0 Kudos