Menu
Romansiroklyn
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Mobile Traffic Managed

I am currently im hospital and over 2 years never relied on mobile data to watch online content untill now, from my bed last night I was able to watch 1080p youtube videos, the bbc iplayer and itv player in very good quality, couple hours later everything dropped from youtube only working at 144p and the media players are very bad quality. Now before someone starts saying virgin don't traffic manage customers I want to remind you of the broadband history. My question is, how I get the bandwidth restriction removed, since Im more than happy to cancel my 3 phone contracts.
0 Kudos
mrsweet1991
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile Traffic Managed

Chances are they have got it in the small print about fair usage or throttling at certain times. The chances of you getting this removed is unlikely, I'm not sure what deal you get but have you ever looked into GiffGaff? 

Slow Speeds with Fault Ref F003430777 officially recognized as a fault by Virgin July 2015. However this problem has been ongoing since 2013, no hope anymore...
0 Kudos
Romansiroklyn
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No i havent but ill check them out, the thing is im paying for the vip package and its frustrating.
0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

GiffGaff is awful for data. Be sure to have a look at the reviews and in particular comments about data before considering them.

I'm not sure what Virgin Mobile's current policy is but they used to throttle your speeds to 384k if you went over your monthly data allowance. If you have been watching lots of HD video, this is likely to be the cause.

0 Kudos
Romansiroklyn
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Great stuck in hospital with no streaming, just live with it. Thanks Virgin!!!
0 Kudos
mrsweet1991
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Agreed it can be terrible, but then again it can also be great. And what I like about GiffGaff is it's unlimited data with no capping (assuming you get the right goodybag) . I'm on Android and I disable tethering provisioning to stop GiffGaff from knowing I tether to my laptop, while I was in hospital I tethered to my laptop and watched some HD shows on Kodi and it worked flawless Just thought if he's in contract and he can't use it for what he wants then it's may be worth a shot.. and it's not a contract with GiffGaff so could just try. 

Slow Speeds with Fault Ref F003430777 officially recognized as a fault by Virgin July 2015. However this problem has been ongoing since 2013, no hope anymore...
0 Kudos
Romansiroklyn
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Allow with this sales pitch bullsh%t u giff gaff wa@@@r, this does not resolve me not having internet right now.
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin sims have a fair usage policy set at 3.5gig monthly (per calendar month), once you hit the 3.5gig - you are throttled at 384kb untill the 1st of the next month :-(

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

On the other hand the OP could use the hospital wifi service if it has one (most do and some are free) to stream what he needs. I did when I was in hospital for 3 weeks last summer. Worked well on my PC. Charged at one hospital, free at the second one.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes, free internet in my local hospital, only problem is that not all wards/ waiting rooms get coverage.

Virgin should review their 3.5g throttle threshold, it is now very old and not up to date with the times, Virgin now sell sims which come with a 10gig allowance, but you only get the first 3.5gig at full speed - the remaining 6.5gig runs at the 384k :-(

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos