Kids on sim only

How do I stop my kids going over minutes and data on sim only deal

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Kids on sim only

Hi Stewood,

Thanks for posting your query.

You can set limits on data but this would need to be done on the handset. I've included a link here to our handset guide. If you select your hand set and look into data usage you can set a limit so the mobile data turns itself off should this threshold be reached. I've used this on my wife and daughters phones and it works well. As far as setting limits on calls and texts I don't think this is possible. The best advice I could give you would be to download the Virgin Mobile my account app so they can check their usage on a regular basis.

Hope this covers things for you.

Kind regards 

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Les01889
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've been trying to limit my son's data usage on his iPhone 5s. I've followed your link but there's no info available & everytime I type anything in the search box it just tells me there's no info available.

Any ideas how I can set a limit on the 5s (there doesn't seem to be anything in the user's guide either)

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Les01889

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy

I'm afraid there's no way to limit the data to a specific amount on the phone through the settings. I believe there's an app called my data manager that will allow you to actively track the usage and alert you when you're near your allowance.

This can be downloaded through the app store but we're unable to support this as it's a 3rd party app.

Let me know if you have any further queries regarding this.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Dave606
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I was going to start a thread asking pretty much the same thing for our daughter as a £5 sim only deal looks to be a far better deal than a £10 payg topup every month!.  

Thankfully she (and ourselves as parents) is on an Android phone and we know how to set data limits within the handset settings but concerned about moving her from payg to a rolling sim only deal if there is no way to limit minutes and text usage outside of the inclusive allowance.  I can't believe in this day and age it's not possible by either the phone settings or the providor at least to ask or set that the phone won't go outside the inclusive allowance or at least set at £5 outside the sim only allowance!.  I mean, you can't go outside of the allowance on payg, so why won't providers allow pretty much the same feature for at least 30 day rolling sim only deals?.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave606,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

I'm afraid it's not possible for us to cap minutes or texts on our side. I'm sorry there's not more I can do regarding this.

Let me know if you have any further questions. I'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos