Menu
powellcd
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have been charged for a £20 call to 03331368208

I hardly use my PAYG 'phone but my latest statement shows a call for £20 to 0333168208 which I did not make. I don't recognise the number and I am worried that my 'phone or my VM account has been compromised. I am not a frequent mobile user so any help to shed light on this problem will be very appreciated.

Regards, Chris

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Magic_M
Up to speed
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: I have been charged for a £20 call to 03331368208

A quick search suggests that the number is related to telemarketing. It's also a standard rate number so not going to be a scam relating to the cost of the call.

As a first thought, have a look in the call log on the phone to see if you've got a corresponding outgoing call. I'm wondering if you've had a call from that number at some point and you've accidentally called it back without realising (maybe while checking out a more recent missed call).

All Replies
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Looks like a French landline number

0 Kudos
Magic_M
Up to speed
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

A quick search suggests that the number is related to telemarketing. It's also a standard rate number so not going to be a scam relating to the cost of the call.

As a first thought, have a look in the call log on the phone to see if you've got a corresponding outgoing call. I'm wondering if you've had a call from that number at some point and you've accidentally called it back without realising (maybe while checking out a more recent missed call).

powellcd
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks Magic_M. I am reassured by your very helpful reply. I had a missed call from that number 29th Nov and apparently 'replied' on 2nd December so your diagnosis looks spot on. Thanks again.

Regards, Chris

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

so why did it cost £20 - it if is a standard rate UK number ?

were you calling it from some other continent ? or did you chat for hours then forget to hang up ?

0 Kudos
powellcd
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your interest cybermole. I noticed on my bill that the call lasted for 59 minutes and some seconds. Perhaps there is an automatic limit or something similar. I was not 'chatting' as you say, I did not know that the call had been made.

Regards,   Chris

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

well that explains the cost -  3 mins per £1 on PAYG seems about right, but there is now the mystery of how your phone could make a ~ one hour outgoing call without your knowledge ?

I'd be calling VM ( preferably not on PAYG ) for an investigation- else whats to stop it happening to you again?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi powellcd, 

I am so sorry to hear that you have been charged so much money for a call you didn’t make! 

I have also did a quick search on this number for you and it is indeed a telemarketer, with that in mind, it is also possible that this type of number can also be a scammer number and those types of people can run up a bill even if the person who they have dialled has answered and hung up straight away. 

Or it could simply just be a network billing glitch, I’d like to look into this for you, we can also refund you for the charge if it is a glitch. 

You can also register to the Mobile Telephone Preference Service which can block marking calls and texts. 

Let me know if you would like me to dig into this for you.

Take care, 

Kelly 

0 Kudos
powellcd
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your reply. I am just concerned that my mobile or account may have been compromised.

I am an older person and I only have a mobile phone for the  convenience of contacting the family.

Any help you could give me would be most appreciated

Regards, Chris

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

your virgin bill details will have the date and exact time that one-hour call was made, so if you can recall where you were at that time, and where you phone was, then call virgin billing to query the call if you cannot account for it

if you can place yourself and your phone somewhere with witnesses at that time you have a very good case for a refund and an investigation

sometimes these things turn out to be "friend" or family member " borrowing" the phone so you should eliminate that before crying foul. Can anyone pick up your phone and use it or does it have some sort of lock screen ./ pin code. pattern needed to access it

the other possibility ( we've all done it sometimes ) is that you forgot to actually " hand up" by pressing the end call button - so you rang it out of curiosity, thought you are only on-line for a few seconds, but actually you were still connected until " the other person has cleared" 

thankfully, when I make that blunder , its on a landline handset Smiley Happy

-> kelly_M; please explain how anyone can run up a bill on a number beginning with 03... after you have hung up. I do not believe that is technically possible. It is certainly socially undesirable, so please explain what consumer proctections we have . surely you can only bill us for when we are connected and as per your written tariffs.

as far as I know, the only numbers can can collect £s in seconds are the premium rate 09... numbers, which we can have blocked ( either free or at a small charge I believe). My handsets can block those anyway so I have never looked into your tariffs for that.

0 Kudos