Menu
iandavey
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have a US iTunes account - how can I get the ios app for my phone?

Would like to download the Virgin Media WiFi app so I can use The Cloud on the tube.  However, it does not appear to be available on the US iTunes App Store to download?  There is nothing I can see on any literature that specifically limits the use to UK iTunes account holders only - can anyone help?  

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: I have a US iTunes account - how can I get the ios app for my phone?

Hi Ian,

I think this sort of answers the question ...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4957173?start=0&tstart=0

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
iandavey
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Dave - however while the other questioner wanted to open an iTunes account in UK and US, that is not my question.  I only want to have the WiFi app to be able to log into the Virgin Media WiFi and not a secondary UK iTunes account.  So the issue is why is the Virgin Media WiFi app not available on the US iTunes store to download?  As I mentioned in my original question there does not appear to be any requirement in any of the Virgin literature saying that to access benefits of being a Virgin Media customer you can only have UK iTunes..  Does anyone know how to contact Virgin by email to ask this?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

iandavey wrote:

Thanks Dave - however while the other questioner wanted to open an iTunes account in UK and US, that is not my question.  I only want to have the WiFi app to be able to log into the Virgin Media WiFi and not a secondary UK iTunes account.  So the issue is why is the Virgin Media WiFi app not available on the US iTunes store to download?  As I mentioned in my original question there does not appear to be any requirement in any of the Virgin literature saying that to access benefits of being a Virgin Media customer you can only have UK iTunes..  Does anyone know how to contact Virgin by email to ask this?

Why WOULD the Virgin Media UK app be in the US store? Its geographic specific. As your Itunes account is supposed to be. So your in the UK, if you use the UK Itunes store, its available. Anything else falls under "your problem buddy"  

There is no email contact for support but if you wait around a week staff will reply in an official capacity.

0 Kudos
iandavey
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Kippies, thanks but  -  I live in both the UK and the US, more so there. So, as you can only have 1 iTunes account, that is where it is. Your comment 'if you are in the UK use the UK iTunes store' does not help, as it wholly impractical.  Also, if you think about it, which store you download the App from has no relevance at all: the app would only work while in the UK.   So the problem (not 'my problem') is that nowhere does Virgin make any statement that to use the WiFi app you must have a UK iTunes account, nor does it make any sense (or do any harm) in having the app available on multiple Apple stores.  And why should a UK iTunes account be a pre-requisite anyway?  Virgin and Apple are totally different companies and service providers. When something is a requirement, they should clearly state it in the t&c's.  When something makes no sense, they should do something about it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Whilst I agree its nonsense, geographical locking is a thing. Apple want to lock their content geographically, so do VM. So its in neither companies interest to create easy workarounds. You cant use your US Netflix account in the UK either. Same with games, DVD's etc

Theres also likely to be licensing issues as whilst LG have the licence to use to VM branding in the UK, Virgin Mobile own the right to the branding in the US.

Its never as simple as "just fix it" especially when American firms like LG and Apple are involved.

iandavey
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yeah  I hear you, but the VM app content can't be used anywhere but the UK. Being able to download it on different stores would not impinge on any other non-UK license holders activity.  Different from netflix, games etc as the content can be accessed from a 'foreign' geography - this is obviously impossible in this instance.  Still no excuse for Virgin not stating this on any literature / advert / anywhere.  

0 Kudos