Menu
Hillybaby
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Huge bill due to a call that didn't end.

Hi. I have a tariff with 250 minutes to non virgin mobile networks. I never use that many minutes in a month. However, this month one phone call never ended! I must have spoken for about 1 minute and ended the call however my account shows that the call lasted 3hrs 25mins. This totally blew my allowance and now my bill is £64 instead of the usual £10. How is it possible?

0 Kudos
enlli
Super solver
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Huge bill due to a call that didn't end.

Not sure, but it is the second such post this week

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hillybaby

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

Sorry about the unexpected bill you've received.

What kind of phone do you have?

Some smart phones allow you to 'come out of the call' on your phone by pressing the 'home' button, but continue the call.

This is usually indicated by a green banner across the top of the screen to advise the call is still open.

Have you checked the call history on your handset to check how long the phone indicates the call lasted?

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Hillybaby
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It is a Samsung phone model no SM-G361F. The call log on the phone doesn't give a duration but looking at the account online the call lasted 3hrs 28minutes!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Hillybaby

It is likely that you inadvertently didn't end the call.

As I say, Android smartphones will allow you to return to the homescreen, but stay on the call if you press the home key and it's indicated by the green banner at the top.

It's worth keeping an eye out for this in the future and check the call has ended in the future to avoid any more shocks like this.

Let me know how it goes.

Many thanks 

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

ring 789 - see what they say - hopefully they will do something - not much seems to have been offered on here

Tony
0 Kudos
Hillybaby
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Tony but I already tried that. I am told that someone will phone me back about it but that was 10 days ago and as yet no call back. Meanwhile the bill has been produced and DD will take it in 4 days! Very frustrating and poor customer service from Virgin. I get BB, TV, phone line and mobiles from Virgin and have done for years. I had hoped they would be a bit more understanding about an obvious user error. It was a 'one off' incident that they admitted was unusual on my account. It has shaken my confidence in using the mobile if it is that easy to 'not end' the call. Why did the call not end when the recipient put his handset down? It was a call to a landline number. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hillybaby wrote:

Thank you Tony but I already tried that. I am told that someone will phone me back about it but that was 10 days ago and as yet no call back. Meanwhile the bill has been produced and DD will take it in 4 days! Very frustrating and poor customer service from Virgin. I get BB, TV, phone line and mobiles from Virgin and have done for years. I had hoped they would be a bit more understanding about an obvious user error. It was a 'one off' incident that they admitted was unusual on my account. It has shaken my confidence in using the mobile if it is that easy to 'not end' the call. Why did the call not end when the recipient put his handset down? It was a call to a landline number. 

no one will phone you back or it rarely happens - it may be intended or it may just be a polite way of ending the call rather than saying they dont know - you need to drive it - ring again and again until you get an answer 

Tony