Menu
sopho
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Huge Bill for International Roaming - but not left the country

My latest bill with Virgin was 4 x the usual amount, due to an extortionate charge for international roaming in Israel. Except that...I haven't been to Israel, and I did not even leave the country during the billing period. 

I've contacted Virgin about this, I've been unable to speak to a manager, and I'm just repeatedly told that it is being looked into.

It's also been advised that I send 'proof' that I did not leave the country, though what exactly counts as proof was very vague. It quite clearly states on my bill that at on 5 December at 14.30 I was using the internet from the UK, and yet at 16:30, I was charged for the international roaming from Israel. Even if this were true, that would require me to travel to Israel from the UK within 2 hours, and return by 17.22 when I next used the internet from the UK. Surely this is proof enough that it is clearly an error! 

I've cancelled my direct debit, as I cannot afford for this charge to be taken from my account. However I'm concerned for how this may affect my credit rating.

Any advice welcome. 

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Huge Bill for International Roaming - but not left the country

i wouldn't cancel the direct debit. clearly a problem here, but if virgin don't get the money they will chase for it in the interim and it will affect your credit rating by simply not paying.

a passport is electronically registered when you leave and return to the uk. maybe speak to the passport office...
0 Kudos
CQ20
Up to speed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The advice about not cancelling the DD is spot on. It will only give your further grief. Make sure that you document everything that you do, every conversation that you have (time, date, points covered) and all expenses that you have incurred including loss of earnings. If you are in the right you should be compensated for all expenses if this turns out to be an error
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi sopho,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting regarding your experience.

I am sorry to hear of the extra charges appearing on the bill and would like to take a look into it for you.

Shortly I will send you a PM with further details, you can access this by clicking the envelope in the top right corner.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Liam_T
Forum Team

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos