Menu
jangrant88
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

How do I stop premium rate unsolicited texts?

For the second time I've received an unsolicited, premium rate text from the number 60777.  The first time I had one of these, I tried to write STOP and send it - but it wouldn't send.  A big muddle then ensued with Virgin Media about exactly who had sent it but they did not charge me for it.  Now I've received another one ... I have phoned Virgin Media but the waiting time for speaking to the right department is half an hour.  I have been told they will phone me back - that was an hour ago.  When will this be sorted out and how can I stop these texts?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I stop premium rate unsolicited texts?

Hi jangrant88,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I'm very sorry to hear you've received an unsolicited premium rate text message. I understand how frustrating these can be.

You'd usually text STOP or STOPALL to the number but seeing as you've tried to do this already with no success then it can be difficult to unsubscribe.

I've checked the number against our list of companies and there's nothing showing. I've also done a quick Google search and there's very little information on it.

I've also had a look at PhonepayPlus here and there are some contact details available for you to try. Just put the number in and it'll reveal a company associated with it.

I'm afraid we don't have any control over who sends these to you and any charges incurred will have to be met by you. I really hope you get some success with my suggestions and you get these stopped once and for all.

Please let me know how you get on with this.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
jangrant88
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Rich, in the unsoliced text there was a website mentioned.  I accessed it yesterday on my laptop.  It was http://life.go2cloud.org/

It was an online advertisement from the USA about how to make all this money ... with a demonstration.  I only watched about a minute of it.  There was nothing showing that could help unsubscribe (I never 'subscribed') in the first place!  Today I can't get on that website again.  It is now unavailable to me.

The message also told me to text "No1" to unsubscribe - and then the 60777 number showed up as a link.  I've just clicked that link.  I can only "Cancel / phone" (an international call? !!!!) - not text.

I will try Txtlocal - but I have spoken to them before and they denied any knowledge of this number.  Here we go again !

Thanks for trying to help.... but if this goes on I am going back to a pay as you go phone asap !

0 Kudos
jangrant88
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've phoned Txtlocal and spoke to Shaun... he assured me my number's been taken off the list of people who received short number texts through them.

Hope it works.... thanks again Rich.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi jangrant88,

Thanks for getting back to me. It sounds like a merry-go-round just to unsubscribe.

I'll now send you a private message to discuss some other options. To view this click on the red envelope on the top left.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi jangrant88,

We posted at the same time. I was just going to provide an email address which could have avoided you calling them but it appears you've had some success which is good news.

Feel free to post an update here whenever you want.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos