Menu
ChrisDolan
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

How can they explain this?

We have a mobile with the very minimum package, 250mins, 250mb, and for 9 months had the standard bill of 5.00 per month. Then they sneak in September October and November at 25, 20 and 40.

Rang customer services to query how could this be possible, since we use WIFI at home, and have never had to pay when going over the limit before, usually you have to authorise and additional services, such as the 2 per day they applied.

Customer services were quite poor as on every other occasion I had to deal with them. They will not explain why/how this happened. They don't justify the 2 per day. They don't care that rest of the year we never had this issue and suddenly for 3 months we have this.

Anyone understand the why and how this might have happened. Technical issue?

Everyone else with data you simply get slower access when you go over any limit, frankly I find it really hard to believe that the phone has gone over the limit anyhow.

My earlier issue with Virgin Mobile, when we transferred in it took 4 or more months for them to actually transfer the number in. Really took that long. And many calls. Eventually I bypassed Customer Service and got someone in Technical who worked out that they had not done the number port correctly and fixed it. I was promised a call within a week to discuss some compensation. Never got any call from them.

Help!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: How can they explain this?

Hi ChrisDolan,

with Virgin Mobile you have to pay for out of tariff mobile data usage (they don't cap allowances).

Although earlier this year the charge increased 100% for Pay Monthly customers from £1- to £2- per day for unlimited data when outside your tariff.

As this is something "new" for you and your browsing habits haven't changed there may be something different with your settings.

Does your mobile have a good WiFi connection at all times when at home?

Check that your phone's WiFi isn't set to "sleep" (battery saving measure) when your phone is in standby.

If this is the case it will still be using data, syncing emails, checking for updates,weather e.t.c. This is usually only small amounts but check that your phone doesn't allow for updates over mobile data, only WiFi as this can eat considerably more.

Once you do reach your limit (250MB) any usage (even just a couple of KB) will cost £2 each day.

If you have an Android phone you may see that it offers you the ability to disable your mobile data at a limit you can set on the device itself.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
ChrisDolan
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wifi at home is excellent, its a small property. The phones data records don't show that the mobile data was over the 250mb limit. So this is a mystery.
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You've failed to answer the wifi sleep option position.
Mobile update apps email and social messaging 24/7. If the wifi app is set to sleep overnight then it's consuming data, if that every night puts you over the limit you pay £2.00 ever single day you run over regardless of how small an amount you overshoot, sadly it's all in the T&C's
0 Kudos
ChrisDolan
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

No sleep setting for phone. Plus the EE data use tracked in the phone was well below the limit.
0 Kudos