Menu
sassielassie
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Got 2nd Blackberry virgin mobile

I already have virgin on one of my mobiles which is for my business and for which I pay a monthly direct debit

Have today acquired a 2nd blackberry originally from Virgin which I want to use as a mobile outside my business

Can I use top-up sim cards from the local phone shop or do I have to have a direct debit account. Don't really want this as I will not use is very much just actual personal calls and txts

It's not important that I keep my same number or even change phone number when I by new sim cards.  What is the minimum amount I can top up and is there a time limit on how soon I have to use the amount by ?

Hopefully someone is able to advise fully on my enquiry.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Got 2nd Blackberry virgin mobile

Yes just buy any Virgin payg sim online or from a store
0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

sassielassie wrote:
Thanks for help. any ideas where I get the 2nd phone number from as it is a 2nd hand one

Hi, whenever you buy a SIM, it will already have a number assigned to it, whether PAYG or otherwise, so, if you buy a VM PAYG, the sim will come with it's number already assigned. The sim will come on a card, with a triple size push out sim (check first whether your phone needs nano or micro before pushing out the appropriate portion!) then just pop it into your phone.

The sim will come with a top up card for that number, and the number should also be written on the card the sim is in.

How you top up is then up to you. Vouchers, top up card, or through your VM mobile account, or even over the phone, if you register a card with VM.

Hope this makes sense, and helps...Smiley Happy

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

if you are not going to use data turn it of as said above - you have 2 options to do that - in the settings of the phone or get VM to do it on the number

do the latter via 789 when you are up and running - the setting in blackberry's is not foolproof and even though its turned off it will still look for updates on a regular basis which can soon eat any data and once thats gone it continues to check so will cost you whatever the daily rate is - £1 last time i looked - been there and found all my credit had gone after a couple of weeks

Tony
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

-tony- wrote:

if you are not going to use data turn it of as said above - you have 2 options to do that - in the settings of the phone or get VM to do it on the number

do the latter via 789 when you are up and running - the setting in blackberry's is not foolproof and even though its turned off it will still look for updates on a regular basis which can soon eat any data and once thats gone it continues to check so will cost you whatever the daily rate is - £1 last time i looked - been there and found all my credit had gone after a couple of weeks

You could be a bit sneaky, turn data off,but if phone has wi-fi, turn that on, and then you can update and use the internet from your home wi-fi, with no data usage, just means it's only available where wi-fi is.

Did that myself for a while, keeps Blackberry updated for free..also allows web browsing at home...Smiley Happy

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

HughJarsse wrote:

-tony- wrote:

You could be a bit sneaky, turn data off,but if phone has wi-fi, turn that on, and then you can update and use the internet from your home wi-fi, with no data usage, just means it's only available where wi-fi is.

Did that myself for a while, keeps Blackberry updated for free..also allows web browsing at home...Smiley Happy

you cannot control when the phone or apps want to update and as i said even with data off an old one of mine logged onto somewhere when wifi was not available - it did that 5 days running so thats 5 data charges as i had no data on the plan - maybe the newer blackberries are better and turning data off  now does that

Tony
0 Kudos
oldgit
Dialled in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Can you not set the update option only to be used when connected to wi-fi?

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can try but it's a blackberry software issue not a virgin problem, the daily charges are far to expensive to just ignore
0 Kudos

All Replies
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I have 2 blackberry's, one on a monthly rolling contract and one on PAYG so hope this info helps.

Yes, you can use a BB on PAYG if you don't intend to use the internet, as otherwise it can be a bit expensive if you do.

You can top up from anywhere, either with a top up card, or through some banks, as little as £5 is the minimum at present. (if you only intend to use the phone for calls and texts, turn off the data services otherwise the phone will eat data constantly updating, costing you money)

I top my PAYG up[ through my VM account, just add the number to your mobile account, then you can top up that way, which can be more convenient.

Regarding time limit, I thing that you have to make one chargeable call/text or top up every 90 days, (though may be wrong, used to be) so should be easy to do, even if only to send a text to your other mobile to keep the accoint live.

Hope this is of some help...Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
sassielassie
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for help. any ideas where I get the 2nd phone number from as it is a 2nd hand one
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes just buy any Virgin payg sim online or from a store
0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

sassielassie wrote:

Hi, whenever you buy a SIM, it will already have a number assigned to it, whether PAYG or otherwise, so, if you buy a VM PAYG, the sim will come with it's number already assigned. The sim will come on a card, with a triple size push out sim (check first whether your phone needs nano or micro before pushing out the appropriate portion!) then just pop it into your phone.

The sim will come with a top up card for that number, and the number should also be written on the card the sim is in.

How you top up is then up to you. Vouchers, top up card, or through your VM mobile account, or even over the phone, if you register a card with VM.

Hope this makes sense, and helps...Smiley Happy

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Tony
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

-tony- wrote:

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

HughJarsse wrote:

-tony- wrote:

you cannot control when the phone or apps want to update and as i said even with data off an old one of mine logged onto somewhere when wifi was not available - it did that 5 days running so thats 5 data charges as i had no data on the plan - maybe the newer blackberries are better and turning data off  now does that

Tony
0 Kudos
oldgit
Dialled in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Can you not set the update option only to be used when connected to wi-fi?

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can try but it's a blackberry software issue not a virgin problem, the daily charges are far to expensive to just ignore
0 Kudos